15. a deal with the devil

A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

"You hugged him."

Lila raises an accusatory brow. "You were eavesdropping?"

"Luke told us to wait by the door. So technically, no, but you hugged him. And I've never seen him let anyone do that before. Uno." Michael places his second to last card on the pile with a grin.

Given the recent events that took place less than eight hours ago, it's no surprise that Lila can't sleep. Michael figured as much and decided to pay her a late-night visit to take her mind off things.

Lila decides to ignore what Michael said, more so the two butterflies storming her stomach.

That's right, folks, we're up to two butterflies now.

"Ugh. I suck at this game. There's practically zero skill needed and I still can't beat you." She huffs, pulling a card from the pile and groaning when it isn't a card she can put down.

"Care to make things interesting? If I win, you have to teach me how to paint?"

"And if I win?"

Michael actually snorts. "Fat chance. What do you want?"

Lila thinks long and hard, skeptically eyeing the boy in front of her since he's probably hustling her. "If I win, I get to draw something on your arm and you have to get it tattooed." She eyes him once more, thinking he seems like the type of person to seek out loopholes. "Permanently."

"Alright babe, you've got a deal."

Most famous last words if Lila has ever heard any.

Michael loses, but he does it completely and utterly on purpose, drawing cards when he could've put his last one down multiple times.

Lila needed a win, and he was happy to give that to her. There are worse things in life than having a killer artist draw you a tattoo.

He accepts defeat with grace, even offering to fetch the box of supplies from the basement.

The friends move to the floor, laying on their stomachs with ankles crossed behind them. "Tell me three things you like." Lila believes in meaningful art and doesn't want to give Michael some random tattoo that holds no value to him.

"The moon, girls, and you."

Lila rolls her eyes. "Very smooth," she laughs. "I like you too."

"To the moon and ba–"

"Hold that thought," She sketches a few potential ideas. "Can the tattoo have a quote?"

He nods, going into detail about the placement, size, font, and color.

"I think I have an idea." She smiles. "Who's going to tattoo you?" Lila doesn't know if tattoo artists typically tattoo themselves, but considering it would be on his arm, she doesn't see how he would manage to pull it off.

"You." He states it like it's obvious, laughing at the way her eyes bug out of her head.

"Me? That's a joke, right? I can't be trusted around sharp objects. Plus, I've never done that before and I'm not about to botch something that has to be on your body forever." She could list a billion reasons why this is a bad idea, though by the smile that never leaves Michael's face, she can see he doesn't care.

"I trust you. Fucked up tattoo or not, I want to see what you've got."

The girl grows nervous over the fear of disappointing him, but agrees nonetheless. It takes her a while to control her shaky hands and get a feel for the gun. Michael tells her not to worry about sanitizing the needle, so she looks at him like he has five heads and cleans it twice.