death and comfort

word count. 1.2k
2005
You were worried sick over —. It's been over two weeks since you've last seen them, you've texted them but they left you on seen. You're now in your room, texting Mitsuya.

'takashi i felt like i did sumn wrong"

"wdym?" -m

"idk they haven't responded to any of my messages."

"oh u should visit them soon" -m

"yh ill try"
"thanks takashi"

"np" -m

It's colder than ever. The school holidays have arrived and you're just in your room with a jacket and shorts. Your outlet is currently doing its job by charging your phone and has your heater plugged in.

No one's free today, and you're bored af. You pucker your lips, making random expressions with your face to your ceiling. You pat your bed looking for your phone, touching it, you grab it and check the time, '4:38pm'.

Now that it's winter, it's getting darker by the moment. "Hun, dinner's ready!" You hear you mom from the kitchen. You take a seat at the dinner table, waiting for food. Your dad's at the counter (and if you have sibling(s) they're on the couch or with your dad).

Your mom hands you your dish, a knife and fork at hands' grip. "Uh, is there um..." You lose your mind for a bit, "never mind, i'll just go get it." You scoot your way past your mom, grabbing a drink from the fridge sitting back down. You remember times when you and — would sit here as your mom made dinner for the two of you while your dad told stories. That was quite a while back.

You finish your food, placing it in the sink for your mom to wash then walked back to your room.

-ring- -ring-

"Hey, y/n can you-" your dad asks, "i'll get it." your mom says. You groan, getting up just to close the door then lay back down in bed. You heard your mom say something between the lines of "oh my god", "i'm so sorry", "i'll tell her" but you never took the hint.

You just irk by the loud voice of your mom, pulling your duvet over your head. You heard a knock on your door, "come in?"

You sit back up, stretching.

"—, they're..." your dad winces.

"dead." Your mom knew that he wouldn't be able to bare breaking the news to his daughter.

"Funny, so uh, what'd they tell you for real?"

A moment of silence goes by, "we're serious, y/n. " Your dad takes a seat next to you on your bed.

"What?"

"They left you a note, uh, check your messages."

"Stop it, you guys are lying!" You scream at them, getting out of bed before your dad's embrace tries to get you.

"Y/n please! We understand-"

"No, you don't, you're lying! They're not dead!"

Your mom starts to tear up.

"Y/n they are-"

"NO, THEY WOULD'VE..."

"I haven't heard from them all month..."

You look at your parents in disgust. You're crying, you're pathetically crying. "Y/n..."
Your parents come closer, trying to comfort you.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" You scream, pushing through them, running away out the door. You heard your father shout, "COME BACK." But you didn't know what to do.

You didn't know where to run, you didn't know where to go. All you know is that..that...
You open your messages, looking at the one long paragraph that — sent.

'Y/n, if you got this it means i'm dead. I've been diagnosed with a disease and it doesn't have a cure. I did everything I could, I tried medicine, antibiotics, anything to stop the spread. Nothing worked, and I know i'm dying right now. I'm writing this the on the (4 days before you let baji stay over) and I miss you. I'm sorry that I haven't responded to any of your messages, and I feel horrible but, I'm trying to distance myself from you before I die. I love you y/n, you're the reason why I am who I am right now. You've been my closest friend for years, and now I have to say goodbye. You probably hate me because I distanced from you, I know that it was selfish but, I just hope it hurts less. I will miss our nights out, drinking, talking, feeling so alive. Please don't be mad at me y/n, i'll wait for you. I'll see you on the other side partner, just don't come too soon.

-love —(your rant to buddy)'

You can't help the tears running down your face, your heart starts to hurt. You clench onto your phone, crying. The tears in your eyes start to sting, now covering your view, you run into someone.

"Y/n?" The familiar voice speaks.

"Baji!" You hic, falling to your knees, crying. "What happened?!" He says worried, wiping the tears that's running down your face. "I-" you can't complete the sentence, it's getting hard to breathe. "Breathe, y/n.."

You cry into his shirt, your body's shivering as you try to maintain composure. "Come on, let's go back to mine." He helps you walk, you're now staring off as you walk, the light from your eyes now vanished. Your tears are stained against your cheek, your eyes are almost bloodshot red, your eyelids puffy.

Baji hurt seeing you like this, so lifeless, like your soul was sucked out of your body. Honestly, that's close to what happened. Your best friend dies and you barely saw them. "Y/n.."

You stay silent, if you spoke another word, you probably would've gone back to sobbing. Honestly, it felt right, though you swore to hate each other, he still brought you to his house to talk. "Y/n , get comfy," he gestures to his bed, you lay down.

He joins you, the time now being 5:10pm. "Y/n, what happened?" He's sat right up, leaning against his bed frame. "I had a friend for nearly a decade and..." you pause, tearing up again. "They died..today." You sigh, letting the tears roll down your face.

"I didn't get to say goodbye," you cry, covering your face, trying not to embarrass yourself like you already have. You feel Baji wipe your tears away with a hand, the other pulling you close. "Fuck, I know how hard it is for you right now." Baji tries to soothe you down by having you in between his legs.

You sniffle, "I'm sorry, I just feel so fucking stupid right now I-"

"No..you're not stupid Y/n." He groans, "You're a human, it's okay to cry." He turns your body to face him, you can't stand to look at his face right now. "I'm not the best with comforting but, just know i'll be here alright?"

You kept sniffling, wiping away your tears. "I'm not the best guy, and we aren't on the greatest terms but, do you want a drink?"

He didn't expect you to say yes.