Chapter 28

"Using Jimin?" He mutters, "Literally?"

"Well, I explained what was suggested to me, and he was fine with it," Luna shrugs.

"Oh yeah, I'm sure he was more than fine with that," Taehyung scoffs.

"Dude, I didn't want to go into the details of my sex life," Luna snaps, "You asked, I answered,"

Taehyung stares at the TV for a moment, taking a big deep breath in as he closes his eyes. She watches him warily, waiting for the impending argument, just like before. They used to always fight about everything, but it all started with jealousy. Is that just how it's always going to be with them?

"That's fair," He mumbles gruffly. He shuffles so he is facing her, crossing his legs. She starts to get DeJa'Vu as this scene reminds her of the many conversations they had together. But this feels different.

"You're right," He starts, "I got exactly what I was asking for. I have no right to be jealous of your previous relationship, even if it was with Jimin... I'm sorry,"

She stares at him for a moment, waiting for the other shoe to drop. It can't be that simple, can it? Is he really apologising this easily? Has he really matured this much?

Have I matured?

"It's okay," She replies awkwardly, "I didn't want to bring it up... but I'm glad you asked about my trauma,"

"I don't have any delusions of being the knight in shining Armor that saves you from that, or being the only person in your life," Taehyung continues, "I lost that right when I left. Maybe it was a good thing, maybe it wasn't our time, I don't know,"

"It's okay... if it makes you feel better, I don't want to know your history either," She chuckles. He smiles, reaching forward and grabbing her hand. The electric pulse of longing travels up her arm from his touch as he runs his thumb along her knuckles, just like he used to.

"You're not good at conversations like this, are you?" He smirks.

"Nope, I'm as emotionally detached as I have always been," she replies. He laughs at her response, but his gaze is fixed firmly on their hands as if he is also lost in the sensation.

"I am going to be completely honest then," He lifts his eyes to hers, "We both still like each other, that much is obvious. So do you want to try again?"

She starts to become lost in his eyes, firm and certain as he waits for her reply. She wants to say yes so desperately, but she can't. Sure, they have changed as people. He has matured in every possible way, and she is more in touch with herself and others, albeit awkwardly. They have changed, but the past hasn't changed. She is still a threat to him.

"But... my past..." Luna bites her lip, looking away from him, "I'm still a target, Taehyung,"

"I know," He taps under her chin so she looks up at him, "But you're a detective and I'm a prosecutor. I can look after myself and so can you. I'm willing to risk it,"

"I'm not sure Taehyung," She pauses, frowning as she tries to find the right words.

If they're going to have a nice deep and meaningful conversation, she might as well be honest and open up, right?

"I am terrified of experiencing what happened in the hospital again," Luna says truthfully, "I'm scared you're going to receive a terrifying reminder of what it means to be with me and break it off like you did,"