Painting the Town Green

Ruby: "Penny, I-I don't understand..."

Penny: "Most girls are born, but I was made". "I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an Aura".

Donnie: "That is...incredible"!

Penny: "It is isn't it"?

Penny said, feeling a bit embarrassed by how Donnie held her metallic hands. However, sadness quickly replaced her embarrassment because of the reality of it all.

Penny: "But...all it means is that I am not real".

Donnie and Ruby looked at one another before they both looked back at Penny with reassuring smiles as they both placed a hand on her shoulder.

Donnie: "Hey, don't be like that". "You are real, Penny". "You have your own thoughts and feelings".

Ruby: "Yeah"! "You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than us"?

Penny: "I...the both of you are taking this extraordinarily well".

Ruby: "You're not like those things we saw back there". *taps Penny's chest* "You've got a heart and a soul". "I can feel it"!

Donnie: "Besides, it's not what you are that matters". "It's the person behind the metal parts". "You're as alive as we are, Penny". "And don't let anyone tell you otherwise".

Penny stared at the two of them feeling touched by their words. If she could cry, she would be doing so right at this moment. But since she couldn't she settled with pulling Ruby and Donnie into a very tight hug. Unintentionally choking them in the process.

Penny: "Ruby, Donnie, you are the best friends anyone could have"!

Ruby (voice muffled): "I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower"!

Donnie: *groans* "Penny, you mind letting us go now"? "I think you're cracking my shell".

Penny briefly widened her eyes as she let go of Ruby and Donnie. Giving the two an apologetic smile as she did so.

Penny: "Oh, he's very sweet"! "My father's the one that built me"! "I'm sure you would love him"!

Donnie: "He definitely sounds like someone I'd like to meet"! "Either that or trade notes with him". "Did he build you all by himself"?

Penny: "Well, almost"! He had some help from Mr. Ironwood.

Ruby/Donnie: "The general"?!

Ruby: "Wait...is that why those soldiers were after you"?

Penny: "They like to protect me too"!

Ruby and Donnie briefly laughed at that. Considering what they've witnessed of Penny's abilities, she was more than capable of fending for herself.

Ruby: *scoffs* "They don't think you can protect yourself"?

Penny: "They're not sure if I'm ready yet". "One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn". "That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festival". "I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world and test myself in the tournament".

Ruby: "Penny, what are you talking about"? "Save the world from what"? "We're in a time of peace"!

Penny only looked at Ruby with confusion.

Penny: "That's not what Mr. Ironwood said..."

Donnie: "But why would the general say something like that"?