Chapter Twenty: Peace Of Mind

Complicate things?
For me?

Haru couldn't shake Yoongis words from the night of their dinner. How would he be complicating anything for her if they were both equally aware that Jean was not a part of her life now? She knew nothing of the man, and he knew nothing of her.

Even though the night had ended awkwardly, a significant portion of it had been enjoyable, and his company even more so. It hadn't complicated things in her opinion. Leading up to the date, Haru had been so nervous about him expecting more than the kiss they had already shared, but the truth was that when it came to the feeling of him trailing sensual kisses on her neck, she was the one that started to expect more. Had he not pulled away, she would have had him. All of him, like she used to in the past. He could've touched, kissed, and nipped at all the parts of her body that had been neglected for so long, but he stopped it to "not complicate things for her."

Or maybe, Haru thought, he didn't want to complicate things for himself. She hadn't forgotten about a particular model he had been photographed with. Amid all the nerves for the dinner date, Cha Jiwon became the furthest thing from Harus mind, but if Yoongi stopped what they were doing, maybe it was because he did have something more concrete with Jiwon after all.

Yoongi's messages now consisted more of asking how her mother's appointments went and not much more. He had turned quite taciturn recently. His communication with Haru since that night seemed different, drier, less flirty, and more leaning toward a platonic relationship. Haru longed to interact the way they had before, where he joked and seemed interested in how her day was going.

Yoongi had even skipped Wednesday morning coffee with the excuse of getting to work earlier. Leila didn't even mention him not being there, which meant she knew exactly why he wasn't present, but Haru wouldn't be the one to ask. Oddly enough, Yoongi and Haru kept their plans to have her come to the studio for whatever reason. The night before, he had texted her instructions on how to get into the building through a private entrance.

The thought of not showing up at all came to Harus mind, but the longing to see him and be in his company was greater than her pride. She also figured that if she was there, sitting in private with him again, maybe there was hope he would return to treating her as before.

Unfortunately, when she arrived at the building and was escorted to his office by an intimidating, stoic security guard, she realized that wouldn't happen. There was another man there who was introduced as Yijeong, a producer helping Yoongi with music. Both men were entranced in the project, which meant Yoongi completely ignored her.

Haru tried to be patient as he spoke to the other person in the room about things that sounded like gibberish to her. She counted all the basketball memorabilia on his shelves, every instrument in the room, how many times the color of the led lights on every corner changed, and how many stitches were in the hem of her pleated skirt. Her blue nail polish was picked until little scraps landed on his leather couch, which she quickly wiped off before they could see. But the only time they even looked in her direction was when curiosity got the best of her, and she plucked the cymbal of a drum set beside her.

"Sorry," she muttered, returning to picking her nails in embarrassment instead. After that, it seemed like her presence was more noted in the room, and within a couple of minutes, Yijeong excused himself, leaving Yoongi and Haru alone in the stifling awkwardness.

The two made eye contact as Yoongi leaned back in his computer chair, watching her watch him. Their situation was too confusing, unlike any other he had been in, and he had been in his share of uncomfortable situations. There were things to be said here, things he felt he could only say in person. Peace had long been lost since the night they had dinner. He already had a hard enough time finding sleep regularly without the addition of tossing and turning over someone else's marital status. Having the inevitable conversation petrified him because it risked the possibility of losing Haru again, but he needed to know where he stood. What were they doing? Where was this leading? Was he a distraction while her husband was away, or did she feel the same way he did? Did wanting to be with her make him a homewrecker? The answers to these questions were tough and may not be what he wanted, but he had to be prepared for that. He had to know, or he wouldn't sleep another night; the guilt would consume him, and he'd bite his nails and skin until nothing was left but bloody nubs. He realized love was the death of peace of mind after all.