Chapter Thirteen: Sour Belts & First Kisses

Yoongi was a stuttering, blubbering mess the morning he ran into Haru at Leila and Namjoons apartment. Yoongi could usually play it cool in front of Haru and never let her see him break a sweat, but he found it impossible now. Seeing her finally resemble the person he had lived so many beautiful memories with did something to his nerves. He felt like a fourteen-year-old again, and it was the first time he had ever laid eyes on Haru.

It made him recall how he felt when she transferred to his homeroom. Apparently, she had given her old homeroom teacher enough of a hard time that he felt the need have her removed. The hard time turned out to be nothing more than Haru calling him out every time he deducted points off her work when he considered her out of uniform.

A girl stood beside his teacher, clutching her backpack to her chest and looking none too pleased to be there. Yoongi, on the other hand, had sat up straighter in his chair at the sight of her. The only thing Yoongi saw out of uniform on her was a black choker and silver bracelets. If this caused her to be removed from the other class, then he didn't understand the big deal, but he also didn't care. He was just glad she was in his class now.

"Min Yoongi." The teacher called, breaking the boy out of his trance. "Raise your hand." Yoongi did as the teacher told him. "You can sit beside him, Haru."

Haru.

Yoongi gulped as he watched her nod and make her way to the empty seat beside him. He was initially upset when his friend Kang hadn't shown up for school that morning, but the seat beside him wouldn't have been empty now if he had. Yoongi got a whiff of her perfume when she plopped down on the seat beside him. She smelled floral and fresh, like gardenia. He loved gardenia.

Trying to keep his eyes forward became a grueling task. All he wanted to do was look over and admire the girl beside him. Now and again, he would glance at her, taking in her glossy black hair and rosy cheeks. Her lips were small yet plump, and her nose was round. Both fit her heart-shaped face well, in his opinion.

"Excuse me." He heard her whisper, but at first, he doubted she was talking to him. When she started leaning in his direction, he realized she indeed was. "Hey." She whispered again. Yoongi kept his wide eyes forward. "You've been staring at me for five minutes, and now you're ignoring me!?"

An embarrassing burn crept onto Yoongi cheeks. "I-I w-wasn't staring at y-you." He whispered back, still keeping his eyes on the teacher even though he hadn't been listening all morning.

"Oh, you must have a wondering eye, sorry," Haru replied sarcastically.

A nervous smile broke out on Yoongi's face, and he finally looked at her. "Do you need something?"

"Pencil."

"Huh?" He returned, making her roll her eyes.

"Can I borrow a pencil or not?" She was snappy but still playful, and he found himself handing over the pencil he was using.

Did he have another? Absolutely not.

But that pencil became the start of their friendship. They went from sitting beside each other to eating lunch together and even found out they walked home in the same direction. Yoongi started walking Haru daily even though she lived almost two miles farther than he did. She would even wait for him to finish basketball practice after-school. Haru would cheer so enthusiastically for him during practices that his friends started to make fun of him, but he didn't care. He was just happy she was there.