III Daemon

King's Landing – 117 AC

We had finally cleared up the outside of the royal tent, so the healers could move around unbotehred and my niece could give birth in peace. Laena, Aemma, and Rhaenys were inside, supporting Rhaenyra. While Leanor, Joffrey, Qoren, Manfrey, Corlys, my brother, and I stayed outside. Ser Harwin was also with us, while Larys was doing his job as Master of Whispers and finding out was son of a bitch was getting burn for this crime. Lyonel Strong was in charge of keeping everyone calm, while the Targaryen family was dealing with this.

"This is outrageous!" Manfrey raged. I've never seen the normally carefree Prince of Dorne so angry before. "When they are found, I will run them with my spear!"

"That is, if I don't get to them first," I seethed. My hand went to my sword's hilt, dark in promise. Though, not as dark as Dark Sister, sword I had to pass down to Prince Qoren when he married my niece and fathered the heir to the throne. "Caraxes surely is ready to burn them to the ground."

"Shut up," the broken sound that left my good-nephew's lips, had us all freeze and turn to him. My anger calmed down, as I pitingly looked at him. Slumped on the ground, as he hugged his sleeping sons. "My wife is in there, fighting for her life and my son's, and you are bickering out here like children." He glared at us, muted but still filled with the dornish passion. "I will be the one to deal with the traitors and present them with Dark Sister."

"I apologize, I am the princess' Sworn Shield," Ser Harwin bowed in shame. "I should have been there with her."

"I was there with her and still did not protect her," Joffrey shook his head in dispair. "If it's anyone should be blamed, it is me."

"The fault lays on whoever sent the assassin," Viserys shut them both up. I looked at my brother surprised. He was acting calm and collected, like a king. When did he start behaving like this rather than the weak malleable puppet he usually is? "Ser Harwin, you had leave to be in the tourney in honour of the third prince, you are not to blamed. Ser Joffrey, you dealt with the assassin and secured my daughter until the healers came and took over... you saved her." Viserys looked at him, warm and welcoming. "Thank you."

"I was just doing my duty, Your Majesty," Joffrey bowed down.

He might not have the greatest image of Viserys, mostly because of the way Rhaenys, Aemma, and I talk about him. But my brother, is still Joffrey's king, and having him thank you like this, will make anyone feel flushed and eager.

"Which is why, our son will be named in honour of his saviour," Qoren spoke up, earning startled looks from everyone. "Nyra always said that he would be named in honour of Ser Joffrey, but never said why... I don't think she knew. Her dreams are not always clear..."

Another cry of pain came from the tent, souring the mood outside even more. No one spoke again, as more cries came from inside, not even as healers rushed out and in the tent covered in blood. I continued to clench my sword, knuckles white and almost breaking the hilt in my fury. It was only when we heard the cry of a recently born baby, that we calmed down.

"It's a boy," the healer I brought from Lys informed us with a relived smile, as she came out of the tent. "A healthy boy."

"What about my wife?" Qoren asked, interrupting the king, who had opened his mouth to speak- though, no one really blamed him.

"The princess' wound has been sewed and thanks to Ser Joffrey's quick thinking on keeping pressure on the wound, she did not lose a lot of blood," Healer Lana explained slowly. "However, there was poison in the knife. I rapidly recognized it as a poison from Lys, used to cause abrupt abortions."

"T-they tried to abort my grandson?" Viserys stuttered, though his eyes were ablaze with a dragon's fire I had not seen since his dragon had passed away.

"They did, Your Majesty," the healer bowed. "As the poison specialist in her Highness' court, I have a cure for every poison I know of... that one included. I was able to administrate it, but I could not stop the early birth of the prince. They are both healthy though. The prince was fully formed, even if small. In the following months, he will grow up what he missed inside his mother's belly, before slowing his growth to the speed of a normal baby. The princess will remain on bed for a long time until she recovers. The thing we need to worry the most for is infection."

"All you need, just ask," Viserys declared. "My daughter and grandson will have the best care."

"Can we see them?" Qoren asked hopefully.

"You can," Healer Lana smiled gently. "Though, if I may say, it would be better that the princes do not see their mother until she is moved back to the Red Keep. The blood inside the tent will be too much for them, and... she is quite pale at the moment. Seeing their mother like this might be too much for the young princes."

"Of course," Qoren nodded. "Ser Harwin, take my sons with a squad of guards back to the Red Keep," he gently handed them to the Strong heir. "Do not take your eyes off them until we make it back."

"Of course, Your Highness," Ser Harwin swore, bowing before fulfilling the command.

"Let's go and meet littl Joffrey then," I smirked. "The little one just had to follow his brother's steps and make a dramatic enter to this world."

"Not funny Daemon," Corlys sighed, as his son took care of his spouce. "Not funny at all."

"It's just that none of you understand my humour!" I protested, fake pouting. Trying to dissipate the stress, as I let the relief wash all over me. "I am a funny guy!"

My niece and grand-nephew are safe and sound. What else can I ask for? Oh, that's right! The head of whoever ordered this, which I will soon go hunting for. But for now, I have a new dragonrider to meet.