Chapter 47 The Price

As the voice echoed in everyone's ear, Lucius heard a second voice in his head.

"I told you, you will come to me."

Lucius felt like his heart paused briefly, and a cold chill penetrated his body.

Vampires and werewolves completely froze in fear, yet they couldn't move their eyes. An invisible claw had latched at their brains, inserting chaotic and hellish images in their heads, pushing them toward the abyss of madness. They felt like inconsequential insects in the presence of an entity so unfathomably immemorial and superior.

Dorian stared into the eye of obscene, the opposite of the Holy Eye, and he knew who it belonged to.

Asmodian, the Serpent and the King of Hell, the beginning of all human corruption and the seducer of souls. He was not entirely in this world, but the Sanctuary had a crack in space and time and allowed his power to seep in just enough to communicate with his progeny.

But why was he answering Dorian's previous prayer? It was not even a sincere prayer, and Dorian was not a pure-blood Aslani.

"My lord, we have no intention to disturb you. Please forgive our trespassing." Dorian quickly got down on one knee and lowered his head, showing complete submission to the Elder. He knew that everyone's life was in the hand of the Elder now, and he had to somehow find a way to get everyone out of there alive.

"My child, after all these years, you finally remember the source of your other half of blood."The Elder boomed, cold and languid, "And yet, you came empty-handed and used my temple for your little trickery. Does your generation truly have no respect for your Elders anymore?"

"I meant no disrespect. It was all my fault. Please let others leave." Dorian pleaded as cold sweat drenched his shirt, and his hand trembled, "I will stay and accept my punishment."

"No!" Lucius exclaimed. He then bowed his head just as Dorian did and kneeled next to him, entreating piteously, "Please! We didn't think we would disturb you. We will make sure we make sacrifices in your name after we go back. Please forgive us."

Julian was the only one who stood tall and straight, clutching at his rosary and praying to God loudly, showing no fear even in front of the source of evil. But Asmodian only laughed, which was like nails scratching at metal, a harsh noise that was enough to tear through people's skulls.

"Your God has no power in my realm. Little lamb." Asmodian's voice continued with derision and contempt, "You may as well pray to me, and I may let you live."

"God is everywhere, and you will not terrorize me," Julian replied in unmovable resoluteness, "you can destroy my body, but my soul belongs to my Lord!"

"Shut up, Jule!" Lucius warned through gritted teeth, "Not now!"

The giant eye rotated slightly, and a chuckle rippled across the sky, "so this is the twin he chose. The divine one. Maybe I should keep you just to piss him off."

Dorian's heart pulsated frantically and begged, "Please! He is not in all of this. I implore you, mighty Asmodian, I will stay and serve you. Please let the rest leave!"

The eye rotated again, and this time back to Dorian, "No one shall leave unless you pay what you've owed me for more than a century, child."

Before the echo of his voice settled, the ground began to shake again, and a gush of rancid wind blew up from the bottomless abyss that Hydra left, accompanied by a long, sibilant hissing. The nine-headed beast once again rose to the sky. Its gargantuan shadow blanketed everyone's fear-struck countenance.

Some werewolves and vampires panicked and frantically tried to climb the walls, to no avail. Several Hydra's heads shot venoms toward the soldiers who tried to escape and melted them like candle wax.