Chapter 30 The King's Summon

Lucius and Dorian had to rush into a clothing store and buy two pairs of overly colorful beach shorts to change into. Then they went to the fish-n-chip store and bought two giant super-value combos, and carried them to the beach to eat. The cod meat was so tender and juicy, the golden crust and the fries were perfectly crispy, and the cola was so big that Lucius had to run to the washroom two times.

They finished all the food as they watched some younger vampires playing football. Dorian excused himself for about fifteen minutes. Lucius sat there by himself, watching the moon climbing to the zenith. And suddenly, someone tapped on his shoulder.

Lucius turned around, and Dorian was there, a piece of black forest chocolate cake with white cream on the top and black cherry in the middle, and the outer side was loaded with chocolate sprinkles. A candle stood on the top, already lit.

"It's too late to order a full cake, but luckily the cafe there has the last piece of the black forest," Dorian explained and put the cake in front of Lucius.

Lucius stared at that cake for a long time, and mixed feelings swirled in his heart. He grinned eventually and said, "it's exactly as I imagined."

Somewhere in the city, the clock on an old bell tower rang profoundly. Twelve o'clock, the end and the beginning of a day. In the fuzzy light of the dancing flame, Dorian smiled at him, "happy birthday."

Lucius closed his eyes and made a wish before he blew out the flame, and then he took the paper cake box and scooped a big chunk of the cake into his mouth. It was the best thing he had ever eaten.

"Thank you, Dorian," Lucius said quietly. Suddenly a feeling of shame embittered the back of his throat, especially when he remembered the blood he had to send back to Anthor.

He didn't deserve all of these, for he was about to betray the only person who bought him the black forest cake.

"What's the matter?" Dorian asked.

"Nothing. I just...didn't want today...yesterday to end." Lucius took a deep breath, "the last few hours were the best time I've had in...forever."

"It doesn't have to end. We can come here in the future if you want."

Lucius chuckled and savored the sweetness of the black cherry, deciding to push those darker thoughts to the back of his mind.

They returned to the citadel before dinner. Lucius had been nervous for the whole morning as bedtime approached, wondering if the kiss under the sea somewhat changed their relationship and perhaps they could sleep on the same bed again...and possibly more. However, to Lucius's dismay, Dorian received a summon from the King before bedtime.

"Don't wait for me." Dorian said as he prepared to leave, and he paused before opening the door, looking back and said to Lucius, "I can find a doctor to remove the chip in your slave's head if you still want it to be done."

Lucicus widened his eyes, "really?"

"We just have to do it secretly. It won't sit well with the court." Dorian then left the room.

**********

King Cosmo reclined on the daybed, appearing to be pale and weary, reduced to a mere shadow of his past himself.

He had ruled Eternia with an iron fist for three centuries and conquered almost all the human countries in south Eleth, expanding Eternia from one shore to another and making the vampire kingdom the largest country on the continent and the second largest in the world. He was proud of his accomplishment, believing that he had achieved more than any of his predecessors.

And now, one of the few but most mysterious diseases that a vampire could catch had corrupted his once strong and beautiful body, depriving him of all the nutrition he needed from blood. Even if he killed and drank dozens of meat for a meal, it was still not enough. He was so emaciated that all his ribs were protruding, and he had to put layers of clothes on to hide how thin he had become whenever he had to appear in front of the public.