Chapter 46 The Elder

When Lucius and Julian were very little, they used to be so close. They liked to dress alike, speak in the same manner, fall asleep and wake up in the same room at the same time, and no one would go anywhere without the other one. One of their biggest hobbies was to pretend to be the other and confuse their parents, nanas, and servants.

Lucius still had some of those earlier memories, like watching a movie. Every frame was painted with vivid and fresh colors. He remembered he could feel what Julian felt, think what he thought without any verbal communication. A single glance was all they needed to convey some mischievous idea for a prank or an inside joke.

When did that all stop? Lucius wondered sometimes.

Was it since only Julian heard God's voice, and not him?

And now, he didn't even know when his brother was abducted. Julian could have been killed and laying in some random gully, and Lucius wouldn't have known.

The very thought made Lucius shutter.

Lucius clenched his fist and glowered at Silvan, "You bastard."

"This is just a little insurance on my part. In case you play some devious tricks on me. "Silvan replied casually, "Give me the blood, and I will release both your brother and his bodyguard."

Lucius glimpsed at Julian again. Those big hazel eyes were filled with fear and anxiety. And not far behind him, two other neophytes were holding Lewis, also cuffed and gagged, only those gleaming fury eyes denoting his feeling about the situation.

Lucius cursed and handed the blood to Silvan.

Silvan's eyes fixated on the bottle with such covetousness. He took the bottle instantly. A wide, victorious grin spreaded on his face.

"Let my brother go!" Lucius urged nervously. But Silvan only waved his hand and commanded, "take him and his slave."

Lucius widened his eyes, but before he had a chance to resist, a neophyte appeared next to him, grabbed his arms forcefully and twisted them behind his back. Lucius cried out in pain and couldn't struggle much.

Florian was about to fight back, but seeing the neophyte pressing his sharp claw against Lucius's fragile neck threateningly, he dropped his sword and surrendered.

Lucius cursed Silvan loudly, but it only made the vampire more complacent. Silvan raised the blood against the lightless sky, and all his soldiers whooped and exclaimed.

A drop of Elder blood. That was the most precious thing for a vampire. With its blessing, Silvan would easily become the new overlord of the whole vampire world, and no one would challenge his authority.

However, that was not what made Silvan so happy.

His true victory was that he had finally beaten his arrogant, superior big brother Dorian, who he had always wanted to conquer. And now, he finally could lock the all-powerful Crown Prince up, forcing him to watch him take everything from him.

The sickly, secret obsession he had been harboring since many, many years ago could finally be appeased and satiated.

In the ecstasy of a full triumph, Silvan uncorked the bottle and down the whole content into his throat.

In the pandemonium of the soldiers' hail, Silvan threw the bottle on the ground and gladly waited for the short evolving period to kick in.

Lucius lowered his head, appearing to be accepting his complete defeat. If onlySilvan looked closer, and he would have noticed Lucius was actually...smiling.

Initially, a strange tingling sensation lingered at the back of Silvan's throat. He didn't pay much attention to it, thinking it was just a minor part of the symptoms of ingesting Elder Blood. But soon, the tingly gradually intensified, and within seconds it became a fire burning the flesh in his neck. He gagged, realizing something was not right.