Chapter 17 The Miracle

Lucius took some time to fret about his appearance before the Last Rite he was about to perform. Werewolves managed to find some items that were usually used in such rituals, including a Scripture, some holy waters and incense. They even found him priest attires, but since he had already married and supposedly no longer a priest, he didn't put them on.

He chose a white shirt and white pants and twined the rosary with the Sacred Eye symbol on his wrist. He looked into the mirror and practiced his expressions and gestures while reciting some psalms. He knew it was all in vain. There was no way that he could cure an incurable disease.

The young werewolf's name was Anton, and he was only eighteen years old. He caught the fatal disease while trying to rescue a beta mother and her omega son when a frenzied alpha attacked them. He killed the alpha in the process, assuming he was just a robber, not knowing that the man had werewolf rabies and was in the infectious stage. And most unfortunate of all, though most of the werewolves received vaccination against the disease since they were very young, this particular string was new, and a rare vaccine breakthrough happened.

Currently, Anton was in the third stage, during which he was still very violent and had to be restrained on the bed with chains and straps to stop him from attacking others. No point in giving him any food or water at this point since he would probably succumb to the virus within a week.

The whole city-state of The Guardian was praying for the courageous young worrier, and today they would all witness the "miracle maker" making an attempt.

Lucius contemplated if losing the werewolf's restrain and letting Anton bite off his face would be a quicker way to end all these messes. But he rejected the idea immediately since it was still too much pain and too nasty a way to go.

"Are you ready?" Dorian knocked on the door.

Lucius opened the bedroom door. Dorian was surprised at how pale Lucius was.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes. I'm just nervous."Lucius pulled the corner of his lips and smiled worse than crying, "it's not going to be a pleasant experience."

"Don't be afraid. I will tell Volke that you lost your ability when you married me. He will understand."Dorian whispered.

Lucius only shook his head, "this will still elicit doubts about my identity since everyone knows Julian has a twin brother. Even if you don't want to stir anything up, some people in Eternia court will definitely dig into it, trying to restart the invasion of Anthor and undermine your image. Meanwhile, my country will have to address this issue since people in Anthor cannot lose faith in the savior and prophet, and they won't hesitate to make me a scapegoat."

"It won't come to that."Dorian said firmly, "I won't let it."

"Even you are not omnipotent, my dear husband." Lucius sighed exhaustively, "but let's hope you are right."

**********

As Lucius expected, the praying crowd had jammed the roads in front of the hospital. People moved to the said and gave way to their car, and many eyes full of hope, doubt, misgiving, and curiosity glanced over Lucius as the car went by.

The doctor and nurses met him outside the room. Cold sweat made Lucius's hand clammy, and he hoped the doctor didn't notice it when they shook hands.

Volke arrived shortly after, along with his sister and brother-in-law. The parents of Anton looked calm and composed, though their bloodshot eyes bespoke their careworn hearts.

A chilling howl interrupted their introduction, angry and fraught with agony and torment. If banshees indeed exist, they probably sound exactly like this.