◜chapter thirty two◞

Start from the beginning

"thirty three fucking floors" Cassie watched as Joel slid against the wall into a sitting position

"that's good" Ellie exclaimed, the blonde girl grabbing her arm to hold her up. Her legs stinging from how much walking they just did.

"its gonna have to be" Joel commented. Ellie walked over to the man, kicking his foot and holding out her hand "give me a minute"

"get up you lazy ass" The brunette mocked, Joel then took the girls hand and hauled himself up

"lazy ass, im fifty six years old you little shit" Joel scoffed

"old ass" Cassie muttered jokingly as he walked by her

"i hate kids" Joel spoke to himself as the girls followed him, both quietly laughing with one another. At the end of the hallway, they reached a locked door. Joel grabbed an old fire extinguisher and smashed the glass, the three climbing through the gap. Ellie set up two temporary beds using cushions from couches, one for Joel and the other for the two girls whilst Cassie watched said man curiously as he laid the shattered glass in a pile in front of the door.

"Joel? what in the fuck are you doing" The blonde asked as she sat on the pile of cushions beside Ellie "Joel!"

"what?"

"what the fuck are you doing" The girl asked again, over pronouncing every word

"i dont want someone sneaking up on us while were sleeping" He told the girl

"ohhh i get it. Crunch, crunch, crunch" Ellie replied "are you sure your gonna hear it"

"of course ill hear it, that's the damn point"

"all right" Ellie shrugged as Cassie laid herself down on the cushions. It was surprisingly comfy. Ellie settled beside her, the brunette laying in between Joel and Cassie "well, goodnight"

"yeah, goodnight" Joel mumbled as Ellie pulled Cassie into her side, Cassie's arm wrapping around Ellie's waist as her coat draped over the pair of them, Ellie's jacket being used as a pillow. They all lay awake for a moment "hey"

"yeah?" Ellie replied as Cassie mumbled incoherently, sleep suddenly catching up to her as she cuddled with her best friend

"when we were talking about hurting people, what did you mean it wasnt your first time" The male asked Ellie who stiffened at his question. She calmed slightly as Cassie drew lazy shapes against the exposed piece of skin by the waist band of her jeans

"i dont wanna talk about it" Ellie replied quietly. It went quiet after Joel mumbled a quick 'all right', Cassie was on the verge of sleep with the warmth coming from Ellie's body and the feeling of her hand carefully running along her back. It was second nature for the girls, a thing that brought comfort to the pair of them.

It was obvious to everyone but them that something other than friendship was felt between them, Ellie knew she liked girls and only girls. In fact, she knew she liked one girl, that one girl being Cassie. And not in a 'i love you like a sister' way but an 'im deeply in love with you and want to spend eternity with you' way. Cassie however, was totally oblivious to her obviously growing feelings.

Her brain was wired the wrong way, she was meant to like boys so why did she get butterflies when she lay like this with Ellie. Why did she feel so different with Ellie than she did with Riley. They were both her best friends so why didn't she get butterflies when she spoke with Riley.

"you dont have to" Joel spoke up again, snapping Cassie and Ellie out of their thoughts that where (unbeknownst to the other) about one another "im just saying that it isn't fair, your age. Having to deal with all this- "

"so it gets easier when you get older" Ellie turned her head to look at the man

"no, not really" Joel admitted "but still... and hey, at least you got each other huh?"

"yeah, at least we got each other" Ellie nodded, looking down at where Cassie's sleeping figure rested against her chest "the reason i ask if you'd hear the glass is because i noticed you dont hear too well from your right side. Is it because you got shot there"

"probably more from shooting" Joel told the brunette, admiring the way she cared so deeply for the sleeping girl. He was somewhat jealous of their connection, upset that he had lost his own. He then turned to face the opposite direction "so, if you wanna keep your hearing you stick to that knife and you find your girl that bow she wants"

"she- were just-" Ellie groaned, not being able to find the words to reply to the man. After a moment, however, she spoke up again "Joel?"

"shut up" Cassie groaned, their voices waking her up slightly. The blonde burying her head into Ellie's chest as pulling her jacket over her head. Ellie whispered a sorry and rubbed her back

"did you know diarrhoea is hereditary" Ellies words a lot quieter now

"what?"

"yeah, it runs in your jeans" The girls joke made the three of them chuckle, even Cassie who was dazed and confused chuckled quietly into Ellie's chest

"that is so goddamn stupid" Joel's comment made their girls laugh more, Ellie more so as she saw Joel chuckling

"you laughed motherfucker!" Ellie called out

"i didn't laugh" Joel dismissed the girl

"yes you did"

"Jesus im loosing it" The man mumbled

"your loosing it big time" Ellie joked, the three then burst into a fit of laughs, even Joel who was stone faced 99 percent of the time

some fluff before we get into henry and sam. IM NOT READY

i apologize again for the lack of updates, i had an exam the other day and have been very stressed so i havent had time to write however i am going to try and get out chapters frequently. Dont hate me if i miss days though