◜chapter twenty nine◞

Cassie slept a majority of the car journey, she had no clue how long she had been asleep for or how long they had been driving but she was still tired

Cassie slept a majority of the car journey, she had no clue how long she had been asleep for or how long they had been driving but she was still tired. When she did wake up, they where just entering a wooded area meaning that they were stopping for the night. Joel was cooking food whilst Cassie stretched herself into a more awake state.

"how long are we staying out here" Ellie asked whilst they ate

"i figured i sleep tonight and drive tomorrow all day, all night, get us to Wyoming by next morning" Cassie struggled to take in the mans words, only interpreting the fact that they were going to be in the car for a long ass time the next time they entered it.

"so can we start a fire? im freezing" Ellie asked

"now why am i gonna tell you no" Joel scolded the girl

"because infected will see the smoke" The girl rolled her eyes, stuffing her face with more food

"i swear the pricks are blind" Cassie muttered

"no, fungus isn't that smart. This is too remote for infected anyway"

"so people?" The blonde girl questioned the man who nodded in response

"so what are they gonna do, rob us?" Ellie asked

"they'll have way more in mind than that" Joel explained and instantly cassie remembered all the things she had tried to forget, all the nightmares came back to her. She almost forgot that Joel had even witnessed it, that he was there to scare them away while Tess nursed her back to a half decent mental state. She was a kid. And the way Joel's eyes flickered towards Cassie, she knew that he also remembered.

"okay" Ellie nodded

As it got darker, the three unrolled their sleeping bags

As it got darker, the three unrolled their sleeping bags. Cassie and Ellie had conveniently found a double sleeping bag in Bill's bunker and were quick to scoop it up for themselves. Cassie got in first, Ellie then getting in and zipping it up. The two girls shoulder to shoulder until Cassie wriggles about and cuddles up to Ellie's side. Baskin in the shared body heat, the two girls smiled, instantly feeling the wave of tiredness wash over them.