◜chapter ten◞

"cassie" an all to familiar voice called out, the voice had called her name multiple times but the girl refused to open her eyes

           "cassie" an all to familiar voice called out, the voice had called her name multiple times but the girl refused to open her eyes. It was a dream, she must be dreaming. The voice of the girl she missed dearly was calling out her name at god knows what time of night. It was a dream or cassie had died in her sleep and she was in heaven "Cass please"

Sooner or later, she would have to open her eyes and face reality. So, Cassie pried her eyes open, training them on the wall in front of her. It was silent and the girl cursed herself for waking up. With a disappointed sigh, she turned over on the lumpy mattress, her body now facing the rest of the room

"hey" Cassie's eyes widened as she saw the figure sitting diagonal to her. the curly haired girl swore she got whiplash from how fast she pushed herself up into a sitting position

"how? no, that's not... that's not possible. Am i dreaming or are you a ghost" Cassie mumbled, more to herself than to Ellie "fucking bitch, i knew you haunt me"

"not a ghost Cass" Ellie shook her head, her eyes watering at the girls voice. She thought she would never hear Cassie speak again, her voice slightly deep and had the most beautiful rasp to it, Ellie would listen to her forever if she could.

"holy shit" Cassie's hand slapping over her mouth as she choked out a cry. She was frozen in her spot, her body not cooperating with her mind. All she wanted to do was to go and hug the girl she swore she lost but the shock kept her still.

They sat in a semi silence for a while, the only sound was the soft cries of both of them bouncing off the walls. When Cassie's body was strong enough to stand, she stumbled towards Ellie who was quick to stand up. Their bodies fell into one another's but the cries didn't stop. They cried for their friend and they cried for their reunion.

"explain" Cassie abruptly pulled away, forcing distance between them as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"they think im immune Cass" Ellie explained, holding her arm up and showing off the almost healed bite mark on her arm

"fuck off, stop lying to me" Cassie pushed her arm down, lightly punching her arm

"im not lying, i uh overheard people talking. Its a long story Cass but its true. Its been almost four days now and i haven't turned into one of them fuckers so" Ellie shrugged, sitting back down onto the floor.

"you've been here this whole time" Cassie asked quietly, wiping her eyes quickly before sitting opposite the girl on the floor, close enough that their knees where touching

"down the hall" Ellie nodded "fireflies found us a few hours after you left. Riley changed whilst i was down their Cass, i... i had to... i killed her"

Cassie nodded, Ellie had no choice but the girl knew how gut wrenching that must have been for her

"i uh, when i found out they brought you here i kind of screamed about letting me see you" Ellie laughed slightly, smiling at the girl in front of her "how was life without me?"

"oh you know, it was the most peace i had ever had. Honestly, didn't miss you as much as i thought i would" Cassie commented, her voice laced with obvious sarcasm

"oh shut up, it was hell without me and you know it" Ellie scoffed, flicking her foot out quickly to kick Cassie's shin

"well, the hoodie helped a little bit" Cassie held up her fingers to signify how little it truly helped. The fabric was on the makeshift bed, the girl never wore it to sleep but held it close to her always

"oh yeah i bet it did you sap" the brunette joked making Cassie grin

"i really did miss you though" The girl nodded, shuffling to shit beside the girl instead of in front, their backs pressed against the cold wall "thought i was gonna have to live in that farmhouse alone"

"we cant have that now, can we" Ellie commented, smiling as Cassie's head dropped onto her shoulder. The girl also reaching out to grab the brunettes hand, interlocking their fingers and resting them both on her lap. There was a tranquil pause between them, their breathing slow as Cassie traced patterns on the back of Ellie's hand.

"what happens now?" Cassie asked, tilting her head to look over to Ellie

"if i heard right the fireflies want to make a cure and for that, they need me so... we figure that out and then take it from there?" The shorter girl responded, Cassie nodded in response before falling silent again

"have you slept" it felt like an eternity before Cassie spoke up again "like, since you've been here"

"kind of, no more than like an hour at a time though. They've kept me chained like a fucking animal and come in for tests constantly" Ellie told her, Cassie quickly getting up and rushing over to the mattress. She dragged it over to Ellie, the blanket draped over her shoulder as she placed the mattress down and climbed onto it. Cassie then patted the small spot beside her, Ellie grinned before sliding in.

It was a squeeze, the mattress was thin and small but they made it work. Cassie placed the blanket over them both and cuddled into Ellies side who sighed with content. Minus the chain and with a more comfortable mattress and a thicker blanket, this was all Ellie had ever dreamed about and under different circumstances, the moment would have been perfect to do the other thing she had dreamed about doing but Ellie had just got her best friend back and she was not about to ruin that.

 Minus the chain and with a more comfortable mattress and a thicker blanket, this was all Ellie had ever dreamed about and under different circumstances, the moment would have been perfect to do the other thing she had dreamed about doing but Elli...

shorter chapter i guess lmao. I hated this so much but fuck changing it so im gonna have to deal with it.