◜chapter eleven◞

It had been three weeks since Ellie and Cassie reunited, they had gotten used to the abrupt wake up calls to perform tests on Ellie and they had gotten used to the awkward sleeping arrangements

It had been three weeks since Ellie and Cassie reunited, they had gotten used to the abrupt wake up calls to perform tests on Ellie and they had gotten used to the awkward sleeping arrangements. They had also gotten used to fireflies constantly telling Cassie not to get close to Ellie just in case, she always argued back that she'd rather risk getting bit than be separated from her friend again.

Cassie was sat on the window sill, her legs kicking gently back and forth whilst Ellie sat on the floor. They never ran out of things to talk about, making jokes or stories just to get the other to laugh on a down day. Today was one of them down day, telling stupid jokes back and forth before drifting into a comfortable silence. The sun shone through the window, heat warming Cassie's back. When Ellie looked over, her eyes glowed a pretty green in the sunlight.

Suddenly, the door buzzed open and Cassie rolled her eyes, prepared to watch another set of useless tests whilst being told that she should be careful around Ellie. Seriously, it had been three weeks. If ellie was going to change, it would have happened.

"count slowly and clearly from one to ten" The firefly instructed as Ellie stood and kicked the stacked plates the two girls had eaten from that morning towards the lady

"one two three four" Ellie rushed

"slowly" The lady instructed making Cassie cover a laugh with a cough

"one. two. three. four. five. six. seven. eight. fuck..." The girl slowly put her middle finger up and Cassie couldn't help but giggle at the interaction "...you"

"you missed two numbers darling" Cassie commented sarcastically, her words spoken between laughs

"dont start" Ellie turned and pointed at the girl with a stern look which only spurred on Cassie's laughter

"uh oh, i hear the clicking now. Everyone run for your lives" Cassie joked, her arms up in a surrender as she plopped herself onto the mattress. Ellie, and the fireflies, gave the girl a deadpan look but Cassie just grinned proudly in response.

"and hold out your-" The lady was cut off as Ellie held her bitten arm in front of her "state your name, slowly and clearly"

"veronica" Ellie stared at the woman, using her alias instead of her real name. Only Cassie knew her name was Ellie in the fireflies base (and she also had a suspicion that Marlene knew) everyone else knew her as Veronica "same as yesterday, and the day before... and the day before... and the day... hey, people are gonna come looking for me and if there looking for me, they'll also be looking for Cassie. People from FEDRA you hear me. Let us out or your gonna pay motherfuckers"

"els" Cassie shook her head as the fireflies left the room "were not leaving this shithole until they're done with us"

"what do they even need with you?" Ellie asked, plopping onto the mattress beside the girl

"they've got more chances of keeping you in here if they have me too. I think they know that" Cassie sighed. Ellie just groaned, her head falling onto the girls shoulder