◜chapter five◞

Unfortunately all good things end and the moment was interrupted by Riley finally telling them they had to move on otherwise Ellie wouldnt make it back in time

Unfortunately all good things end and the moment was interrupted by Riley finally telling them they had to move on otherwise Ellie wouldnt make it back in time. Riley handed Cassie back her bag before walked towards the front of the arcade, the blonde gave Ellie a quick look before following. Ellie stayed still of a moment, making sure Cassie was far enough away before groaning, dragging her hands down her face.

The three eventually started walking across the mall, making their way through the food court. Ellie was questioning Riley the whole way while Cassie took in the small things she would never properly experience (like eating greasy food with her friends on a day out shopping). The three slid over a taco counter and headed into the back of the store.

"is this where you've been staying?" Ellie asked, taking note of the piled bags and made up sleeping area on the floor

"mostly"

"since you know where i live an' all, you could stay with me. You know that right?" Cassie told the girl, sliding herself onto the counter as Riley pulled something from the side. Showing it off to the girls with jazz hands. It was the second book of one that Cassie had gifted Ellie on her fourteenth birthday

"shut up, they made a second one!" Ellie laughed, rushing forward towards the girls. Riley leant on the counter beside Cassie as she opened the book "where did you get that!"

"what did the frustrated cannibal do" Riley read from the book, Ellie looking towards Cassie before replying

"lay it on me"

"he threw up his hands" The three girls laughed at the joke, it wasnt all that funny but Cassie supposed that's why it made them laugh so much. Ellie then grabbed the book from the girl, skimming the pages before finding a joke to read

"what did the triangle say to the circle" Ellie turned to Cassie who just shrugged with a pout, the girls voice dropping to a whisper as she replied "your so pointless"

"okay that was a good one" Cassie grinned, snatching the book from Ellie's hands "how does a computer get drunk" Both girls just shrugged "it takes... screen shots? what are screenshots"

"i dont actually know" Ellie whispered in confusion. Riley then took the book back, flipping through pages as Ellie looked around the small room. Cassie's head was down, picking at her nails she had somehow managed to grow out. Dirt had collected under them, and the (probably out of date) light pink nail varnish had begun to chip away.

"alright here's one" Riley started, talking only to Cassie as Ellie had wandered off, still in eyesight but far enough that she wont hear the joke clearly "what do you call an alligator that wears a vest... an investigator"

"i love this fucking book Riles i dont think you understand" Cassie grinned, her hand placed on the girls shoulder who turned to face her with a smile

"did you make these?" Ellie turned around, handmade bombs on the shelves behind her and one in her hand. Cassie's smile dropped, her hand that was on Riley's shoulder dropping onto the counter as she pushed herself off and walked over to the shelf.

"yes. Ellie, put it down" Riley instructed

"to kill soldiers?" Ellie asked, walking up to Riley as Cassie stayed by the shelf. There was a long and awkward silence between the three. Cassie's blue eyes looking between her best friends and the bombs, she felt betrayed in a fucked up way. She knew her best friend was a firefly but her other best friend was in school to become a soldier. She was conflicted "you didn't find this mall did you, they posted you here. A new recruit guarding their stash"

"we would never use them on you or anywhere near you" Riley reassured them, her eyes flickering to cassie "i would never let them do that"

"you would never let them?" Ellie asked rhetorically, Cassie scratching at the skin on her wrist. A nervous habit she had picked up over time "right and you think they're gonna listen to you"

"Ellie" Cassie warned, she knew Riley meant well but Fireflies weren't the good people she saw them to be. Ellie just handed Riley the bomb

"i mean i guess we'll find out" Ellie scoffed, storming towards the door before pausing and turning towards Cassie, her hand slightly extended towards the girl "are you coming?"

"yeah" Cassie mumbled quietly, her eyes flickered to Riley's as she sent the girl an apologetic smile. The blondes eyes filling with tears but refusing to fall. Walking towards Ellie, she grabbed the girls hand, interlocking their fingers before the former dragged cassie out of the room. It took Riley a moment but she followed after the two, calling out their names as Ellie tried to put distance between the pair and Riley.

"Ellie, Cassie!"

"none of this shit was about us was it!" Ellie yelled back

"guys" Riley called again

"fuck you"

"guys im leaving" Riley's comment made Cassie pause, Ellie stopping a bit ahead of the girl "they're sending me to a post in the Atlanta QZ. I asked if you two could join so we can all go together but Marlene said no"

"who the fuck is Marlene" Cassie asked, walking closer to Riley while Ellie stood in her spot

"Marlene is the lady that helped me get... it doesn't matter. I tried. Tonight's my last night in Boston" Riley told her, Cassie stood right in front of the girl. Face to Face as cassie tried to look as intimidating as possible even though her heart was breaking.

"why did you bring us here" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Ellie slowly made her way over, standing beside cassie

"because i wanted to see you both and i couldn't leave without saying goodbye" Riley told them, her eyes not leaving Cassie's who was, honestly, on the brink of crying.

"this isn't easy Cassie" Riley shook her head. Cassie didn't know what came over her, she was overly attached to the girls she called her best friends. They where her only family in a fucked up world, one of them was leaving and she wasnt sure if they'd ever be a trio again.

"it is, Riley. You just did it. Goodbye" Cassie sighed, turning on her heel and walking away. Her arms cradling her own body for support, the girls steps where quick not wanting anyone to catch up with her. Ellie did though, not saying a word to Riley as she ran after Cassie. The brunettes heart dropping as she turned the corner Cassie had just went around.

Cassie was knelt on the floor, her hands over her face as her shoulders shook. Ellie rushed forward, dropping down beside Cassie and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Cassie instantly threw herself into Ellie, bringing her arms around the girl as crying into her shoulder. Ellie said nothing, just comforting the girl silently. Allowing her to cry it out

"Hey Cass, lets go?" Ellie mumbled after a few minutes, Cassie's tears had subsided and she nodded in response. The two girls getting up, The blonde linked her arm with Ellie's as they made their way towards the exit of the abandoned mall, her eyes puffy and red. They felt rejected, their best friend just leaving them like that.

 They felt rejected, their best friend just leaving them like that

bit of a longer chapter but i suck balls at writing angst. Also, Cassie has attachment and abandonment issues. Keep that in mind because it will be a repeated thing.

drinking game idea: a shot every time i write cassie's name