◜chapter twenty◞

Joel had moved the three of them out of the way of the creatures which also meant out of view of Cassie which had Ellie panicking

Joel had moved the three of them out of the way of the creatures which also meant out of view of Cassie which had Ellie panicking. The girls breathing was heavy but muffled by her hand, biting back sobs. She needed that thing to move because she didn't know how long she could keep quiet. The other three, staying in their spot, searched for something to throw and distract the clickers with.

And then, suddenly, the clicker turned to the girl. Mouth wide as it let out a shriek. Joel was quick to shoot the clicker that was beside them but Cassie had taken off running down the hallway beside her, the creature following. She grabbed the knife out of her pocket and turned around, it had latched onto her other arm. Hands pulling at the skin leaving trails of red, letting out a pained yell she pulled her arm away and swung the blade into the side of its head.

The clicker fell to the floor, she could hear gunshots from the other room but all the girl could focus on was the ringing in her ears as she fell to her knees. Cassie grabbed the knife out of the clickers head and sat on the floor, her legs underneath her. Disregarding the knife beside her, Cassie looked at her arm.

She wasnt bitten.

Scratches that would leave scars? yeah probably but no bite mark. Her brain too busy to care that she was bleeding, her breathing was heavy as she willingly let out a cry. Cassie clutched her arm to her stomach and cried, actually cried.

Adrenaline was a powerful thing but only lasted for short bursts. And whilst her arm stung like a bitch, her head was pounding. She couldn't hear anything but the ringing in her ears, her eyes wide and trained on the dead thing in front of her. The second one she had killed in the matter of weeks. She only assumed that now she was out of her safe haven, this was only the start of many.

Cassie didn't know what was going on with the people she was with, somehow completely out of harms way whilst her friends fought for their lives. Friends was pushing it, Tess and Joel where simply the girls temporary guardians but still, people she trusted where in trouble.

She was slowly coming back to reality, her mind had stopped spinning and her eyes no longer blurry and just as she was about to get up, Joel rushed into the hallway. Cassie grabbed her knife just as the man hauled her up and dragged her into another room, pausing to push over a statue before pulling her behind a glass cabinet.

Cassie, yet again, stayed deathly quiet. Her hands cupping the back of her head as she stared at the wall in front of her. Joel held his arm out in front of the girl, stopping her from moving as he watched the clicker look around. He carefully reloaded his gun, being as quiet as possible. The clicking had stopped and the pair had only hoped it had walked away.

However, hope was a terrible thing. The creak of a floorboard behind them was then followed by clicking and Cassie was in the same position she was in before, stay quiet and still or run? She turned to Joel who closed his eyes for a moment. He was then quick to grab his flashlight and shine it at the clicker which then decided to walk the other way. The two stayed quiet even as it disappeared to the other side of the room

The man gave the younger girl a look before crouching down, Cassie followed his actions. Slowly, the pair made their way out from where they hid. The girl spotting Ellie crouched behind a desk and finally let out a silent breath she had been holding in. Joel then signalled the brunette to follow them, Ellie falling behind Cassie as they practically crawled around the table

Then, without realising, Joel stepped on a piece of broken glass and the clicker came running at them. The creature fell on top of Ellie, Joel being quick enough to pull Cassie out of the way all while taking her place underneath the clicker. The man then turned to Cassie, his eyes searching for an idea as he held the clicker away from him.

Suddenly, the man slid the gun across the floor. Cassie scrambling to pick it up and after making sure she wasnt going to shoot the others, she shot at the infected catching its arm and neck. Fatal in humans, not so much in clickers however it did give a chance or the other two to scramble away. Joel snatched the gun from Cassie and pushed the girls behind him, shooting the clicker in the head.

Then, out of nowhere, another clicker came storming into the room. Joel pushing the girls further away. Luckily, Tess was close by and came running in with a hammer. Slamming it into the creatures head before ducking away. Joel then rushed to the gun that was abandoned on the floor and picked it up, killing the last infected in the place.

When they heard no more clicking, the four congregated in the middle of the room. Cassie hiding her arm behind her back as well as she could.

"you alright?" Joel asked

"twisted ankle but yeah" Tess nodded "you two?"

"well, i didn't shit my pants so?" Ellie joked, Cassie catching her breath as she let out a chuckle. The girl then rolled up her sleeves to reveal another bite mark in the same place as the first one "you fucking kidding me! i mean if it was gonna happen to one of us"

"Cassie" Tess's eyes weren't on Ellie, trained on the curly haired blonde instead. Cassie clenched her jaw and shook her head "arm"

"its not a bite, im fine" Cassie explained as she pulled her arm from behind her back

"shit dude!" Ellie's eyes widened as she grabbed the girls hand, bringing her arm closer to her face

"far from fucking fine" Joel muttered

"it'll be okay, ill use a shirt or something and bandage it up" Cassie told him

"lets get the hell out of here, ive got bandages in my bag. We'll wrap it up outside" Tess nodded before leading them out. Ellie refusing to let go of Cassie. It may not have been a bite but she swore in some places it had cut so deep she could see bone.

 It may not have been a bite but she swore in some places it had cut so deep she could see bone

i wanted Cassie to go mental on a clicker but decided that is for a later episode :)

also how do we like this chapter, there's very little dialogue but i cant for the life of me write fighting scenes so i need validation. i feel like these chapters are real short, so do we want longer chapters with less frequent uploads or frequent uploads and shorter chapters?