◜chapter fourteen◞

The end of Cassie's jeans where soggy from the puddles littering the streets, it had stopped raining so it was more of a peaceful journey apart from the obvious having to stay in the dark and stay out of sight of FEDRA soldiers

           The end of Cassie's jeans where soggy from the puddles littering the streets, it had stopped raining so it was more of a peaceful journey apart from the obvious having to stay in the dark and stay out of sight of FEDRA soldiers. They also had to climb through a murky underground tunnel which would turn out to be the least of the girls worries.

"holy shit were actually outside" Ellie exclaimed quietly, standing up and pulling Cassie to stand beside her. The two girls looking around with smiles, they where outside the walls that FEDRA desperately wanted to keep them inside

"Jesus Christ" Tess muttered, pulling Cassie down who in turn pulled Ellie down "okay were gonna take the left edge around the buffer zone. You stay close and you both follow my lead"

The two girls where quick to agree to the plan, all of them clambering under a bus. Staying low to the ground, the four crept around the junk yard. The two girls couldn't help but share excited looks ever so often. They ducked behind a car when soldiers drove past, Ellies hand finding Cassie's and Cassie's finding Tess'. Taking off through a metal tunnel once they where sure it had left.

"fucking hell" Cassie whispered to themselves as a helicopter flew overhead, the four staying extremely still. Anything was better than inside the QZ but if she could, she would run straight back into the comforts of her apartment. It had started to storm, lighting flashes illuminating the quartets location ever so often as the rain poured.

They continued until they rounded a corner and a FEDRA soldier was stood right there, Tess deciding if they moved quick enough that they could make it past. They didn't, the man turned straight at them (once zipping his pants) and told them not to move. Joel and Tess kept the two girls behind them, the four holding their hands up in surrender.

"you gotta be shitting me" The solider lifted up his face shield, his eyes on Joel and Tess but his gun pointed at the two girls "turn around and get on your fucking knees" 

"hold on" Joel pried, Cassie giving him a look. Silently calling him a mad man.

"what did i fuckin tell you man, i said stay the fuck home. Get on your knees" The solider pushed

"just get on your knees" Tess told them, Cassie turning her head to Ellie as they both lowered themselves to the ground. Cassie was in between Joel and Ellie "listen you let us do this run and we'll split the cards with you"

"dont think about it els" Cassie whispered to the girl, she knew what the girl was thinking because somewhere, locked in the back of her mind, so was Cassie.

"hands on your head" The solider shouted, the two girls flinching and brining their arms up to the back of their heads, the soldier that both Tess and Joel clearly knew then started scanning Tess's neck. "were doing this by the book"

Tess and Joel tried to negotiate as he went on to scan Joel's neck. Out of the corner of her eyes, Cassie saw Ellie reach for the knife in her pocket, quickly flicking it open as she hid it behind her arm. He then scanned Cassie, the girl wincing but sighing in relief as it beeped. As he moved on to ellie, the girl span and swung the knife into his knee. Cassie also scrambling to pull her knife out due to reflexes, pulling Ellie behind her as they all clambered off their knees.

"fucking bitch" The soldier cursed, pointing the gun straight at Cassie "get out of the fucking way" Joel was quick to step in front of the girls as another barrier, they needed that stuff.

"whoa, we can fix this" Joel told the soldier who again told Joel to move. As the man started making his way towards them, after only a brief moment, Joel lunged at him. The two girls watched in shock as Joel consistently punched at the man, Ellie moving to stand beside the girl with their hands interlocked. The man then looked back over at the girls, clearly in shock himself when Tess lunged for the piece of equipment he had used to test them.

"no! no im not sick" Ellie shook her head, 

"Joel!" Tess yelled, grabbing Cassie's arm and pulling her away from the girl as she showed Joel the scanner

"i am not sick! im not sick!" Ellie repeated, trying to get through to the woman. Cassie thrashed her arm that was in the woman's grip however she wasnt letting go

"show her el" Cassie warned, giving her best friend a firm look. Ellie grabbed at her sleeve, pulling up to show the woman 

"look! this is three weeks old" Tess let go of the girl and latched onto Ellies arm. Cassie shook her own arm, sure that the skin was reddening due to how tight the woman had a hold of her "nobody lasts more than a day, does this look a day old to you!"

Whilst Ellie and Tess went back and forth, Cassie watched Joel carefully. The man clearly in shock about what he had done but Cassie wanted to know why, he had probably killed people before so why was this any different. The sirens in the background was the one thing that snapped them all back to reality, Ellie and Tess stopped arguing, Joel stood up and walked towards them and Cassie had stopped staring.

The four passed through a metal fence and started running into the night, Tess was leading the way again with everyone following along behind. She just wished she was running under other circumstances because god was it a sight to see.

 She just wished she was running under other circumstances because god was it a sight to see

i actually love writing this i cant lie. Expect a lot of moments between Cassie and Ellie but dont expect them to get together for a long ass time