◜chapter eighteen◞

The four had made it across the flooded hotel lobby and up  a few flights of stairs

The four had made it across the flooded hotel lobby and up a few flights of stairs. The girls had practically sped up them, genuinely having to be called back by Joel and Tess twice in order to not loose them (and they didn't know if there was infected in the building). Cassie may also have gotten told off by Tess for calling the adults 'old bastards' multiple times.

"come on, it wasnt that bad" Ellie commented as they walked into a hallway

"you try climbing ten fucking floors with our knees. See how ya feel" Tess replied

"their old bastards Els, they're bones are fragile" Cassie added with a cheesy grin, Tess glaring at the girl. She knew she meant no harm, just a simple joke that she was getting a reaction from.

"and your kids, you've got all of this to come" Tess quipped back, Cassie just gasped and flipped the woman off. The group turned some corners and ended up at a dead end, one that clearly didn't used to be blocked off "well when the fuck did that happen" The two adults pulled at the doors, neither of them budging "alright well i mean, maybe i could climb up there. Work my way around and open it from the inside?"

"no well im the smallest so it'd be easier for me to get through right" Ellie butted in

"oh yeah, id say count me in but please dont" Cassie smiled, taking a seat against the wall

"but then you die and we get nothing" Tess told Ellie "your staying here, give me a hand?" The woman then asked Joel. Cassie signalling the girl towards her, wriggling slightly so Ellie could sit next to her. When Tess was in the rubble, Joel hesitantly sat down on a piece of concrete opposite them. Cassie was fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist whilst ellie flipped the pocket knife.

"nice knife" Joel complemented, the first half decent comment out of the mans mouth towards them. Ellie just gave the man a look before continuing flipping it "where'd you learn how to do that?"

"the circus" Ellie deadpanned, the girl sighing and flicking the blade away. Holding the wooden handle in her hands, quickly looking towards the girl beside her. Cassie was sat there, spinning the chained bracelet with three initials on around her wrist, the slight movement making the beads clash together. A faint jingling sound being made as she did so. Ellie then decided to try small talk with Joel "where are you from?"

"Texas" His answers where brief

"what about Tess" Cassie asked, her voice quiet

"Detroit, its in Michigan"

"were not stupid, we know where Detroit is" Cassie lifted her head, eyes finding Joel's as she gave him a small glare. the girl then let out a breath through her nose, muttering a hushed apology.

"so, you two like a-?" Ellie quickly changed the subject

"pass" Joel spoke quickly

"how'd you end up in Boston" the blonde girl asked