◜chapter twenty eight◞

The trio had stopped at an abandoned gas station, the two girls heading into the small toilets out back

The trio had stopped at an abandoned gas station, the two girls heading into the small toilets out back. They had been driving for a while, both of them tired from the peace they had experienced. Ellie was watching herself in the mirror, holding and pointing the gun at the reflection for practice. Cassie watched, perched on the sinks as she admired the girl in front of her.

"pew pew" Ellie faked shooting the pistol in her hand, looking over at Cassie who had a look of amusement on her face "how cool do i look"

"super cool" Cassie grinned, tilting her head slightly but not taking her eyes of the girl. Ellie fumbled slightly, her eyes shooting back to the mirror as she tried to fix her hair whilst simultaneously hiding the forming blush on her cheeks. The brunette swore that Cassie hadn't a clue what she was doing to her.

And Ellie was right because Cassie swore they were just friends. Sure, there was the fluttering butterflies every time their hands even grazed on another's but that was normal. That's what happened to friends. To be fair, she didn't have much material to base it upon being only friends with Riley and Ellie. She didn't get that giggly feeling with Riley but she just assumed it was because she wasnt as close with her as she was with Ellie.

Trying to ignore the girls eyes, Ellie focused on the gun. Counting the bullets and just looking at the gun. She also cocked the gun, a lone bullet flying out the cartridge and onto the floor. The girl picked it up, looking at the small projectile when Cassie got an idea. Grabbing the knife from her jacket pocket, she plucked the bullet out of Ellies hand and scooted off the sink.

Carefully placing the bullet down, she pressed her knife into the case and started carving away at it. Ellie watched patiently, waiting to see what the girl as doing. once finished, she slipped the knife back in her pocket and handed the bullet back to the brunette who quickly studied it before looking back at the girl. Now engraved on the side was the initials 'E + C' with a heart on the opposite side.

Ellie slipped the lone bullet in her pocket as Cassie made her way out of the bathroom, allowing ellie to collect herself whilst she went back to Joel. Ellie tried to collect herself and she swore if there was other people around she would have looked mad. Grinning to herself and she stomped her feet and span around, reaching back into her pocket and smiling at the bullet. She grazed her thumb over the letters before putting it back into her pocket and joining them outside.

"we have to do this every hour" Ellie asked, glancing over to Cassie who was stood on the top of the car that Joel was getting fuel from.

"gas breaks down over time" Joel told the girl "this stuffs almost water. Back in the day wed drive 10, 12 hours on one tank"

"why cant cars run off water, wouldnt that have been easier" Cassie asked, jumping from the top of the car down to beside Joel, leaning on the trunk

"its just... i dont know okay. Just dont work like that" Joel explained "anyway, we could go anywhere"