◜chapter twenty one◞

Once they had made it to the roof, Joel and Tess sat down and attempted to bandage up Tess's ankle

Once they had made it to the roof, Joel and Tess sat down and attempted to bandage up Tess's ankle. He passed Ellie a smaller bandage to put on her arm then handed her another longer one and told the girl to help Cassie wrap her arm. The blonde was quick to explain that she was fine and to stop worrying about her, they would have believed her if she wasnt already slightly wobbly from blood loss.

"over there?" Ellie asked signalling to a plank of wood

"yeah, i know. It looks scary" Joel commented "be careful but walk along with Cassie, she can barely walk straight"

"im right fucking here you know" But, to prove his point, the girl slipped slightly on a loose roof tile.

"come on Cass" Ellie held out her hand, the two quickly crossing the plank "inside was scary, this is just wood"

"just wait there, give up a minute" Joel told the girls who were quick to walk closer to the edge. Cassie insisted on wrapping Ellie's first despite the blood that was dripping from the cuts.

Once hers was dealt with, Cassie finally agreed to the girl wrapping hers. Ellie was very gentle, holding her hand very lightly as she wrapped the bandage around her forearm. Her eyes constantly flickering to Cassie's face for any signs of discomfort and stopping for a moment when she hissed in pain.

"all done" Ellie whispered, not realising how close they where standing until Cassie put her arm down, their faces mere inches from the other.

"maybe you could kiss it better for me" Cassie joked, a soft smile on her lips as she tilted her head to the side "my mother always kissed my injuries away"

"shut up" Ellie groaned "besides your mother was gone before you even knew you where alive"

"bitch!" Cassie gasped "so was yours"

The comment resulted in the two punching the others arm for a moment before letting out a synchronised sigh. Cassie turned towards the horizon, Ellie joining her. The calm before the storm, a moment of peace before more chaos followed.

"is it everything you hoped for" Joel asked as he joined the two, the man standing beside Ellie.

"Jury's still out" Ellie joked "but man you cant deny that view"

Cassie stayed quite, it was beautiful. A piece of art that she herself was a part of but that art had hidden horrors. She knew whatever was to come was going to be scary and there would be moments she wished to just run to safety but she also knew that she was with Ellie. Her best friend, the girl she had made so many plans with during late nights together. The girl she thought was dead for three fucking weeks.

And slowly, Joel and Tess had grown on her. She had trusted them from the beginning, of course she did, but she was sceptical. After all, they where only doing it for supplies. In that very moment, after facing death multiple times in a short amount of time, being saved by Tess and Joel, she couldn't deny the parental sense she felt from them.