Part Forty Three, Before it all began

"(Y/N) we need you over here please!" A chipper young woman waves her arm across the room, a small boy on the hospital bed beside her.

You tick off your current patients chart before heading over towards your supervisor, a suspicious looking smirk on her face that you choose to ignore in favour of smiling down at the boy.

"Hi there."

On closer inspection, you can see he's carefully cradling his arm with a snotty teary face, quite clearly in a lot of pain.

"Oh no, what's happened to your arm?" You bend down a little to be at eyelevel with him and he shies away into your co-worker who pats his head to comfort him.

"Fell out of a tree. His mom couldn't get away from work, so a hero dropped him off. She'll meet him here in an hour, but I wondered if you could work your magic." She winks and the boy seemed interested, instantly lighting up.

"Magic?"

"Suki!" You scowl, looking around you before leaning towards her.

"You know I can't! I'm not signed off on this patient, there's paperwork..." The hospital had strict rules when it comes to quirk usage on patients... A full medical history needed to be taken as well as consent forms. Without the child's mother, you really weren't allowed to do anything.

Suki being the terrible influence that she was, simply rolled her eyes.

"Come on, I won't tell if you don't..."

"I wanna see magic..." The small voice of the boy pulled your attention back to him, his tear filled eyes wide and glistening.

Dammit, not puppy dog eyes...

"He wants to see the magic. How can you deny that face?" Suki beamed and you scowled at her one more time before perching on the end of the bed, taking a cautious look around you to make sure your ward leader wasn't watching. He'd have your head for this...

"Okay then, only quickly... ready?" You lift your hand, palm up at first to let him see your quirk activate.

He nods enthusiastically and his eyes nearly pop out as a golden glow rises from your fingertips, spiralling down to your palm.

"Wow!" He gasps and you can't help but smile at him, feeling a little better about breaking a vital hospital rule...

"Can I see your arm?" You ask and he seems to back up a little before chewing on his bottom lip for a moment. Slowly, he lifts his hurt arm with his healthy one and you very gently lay your fingertips on it.

He flinches as he feels the initial wave of vibration, but his jaw drops when he managed to flex his arm, the hairline fracture in his elbow completely healed.

"Woah! It doesn't hurt anymore!"

Suki grinned, ruffling his hair.

"What do we say?"

"Thank you lady!" The boy shouted, a wide toothy grin plastered across his face that you couldn't help but laugh at, shaking your head.

"Don't mention it... Seriously..." You eyed Suki who shrugged and turned to pick up the boy, resting him on her hip.

"Alright Bug, let's go wait for momma."

You were about to comment on how familiar she was being with him, but...

"Thanks Aunt Suki!"

Ah.

"Suki..." You rolled your eyes. "You're gonna get me fired one of these days..."