Part Twenty Eight, a healing song

The soft rolling of a knife on a chopping board was almost mediative as you watched Sero cut up some chicken, barely present as your mind swam with the anxiety of the looming trip to Shikoku...

It couldn't be anything good for you... Not if it was Bakugos idea... Maybe Dabi was close to finding you and he needed to get you away from the hideout for a while?

Maybe he thought you'd be better off dead and killing you and hiding your body would be easier in Shikoku...

How would Kirishima do it? And what would he do to you before he killed you...?

You stared blankly at the potatoes infront of you, a peeler in your limp grasp after Sero had urged you to come help him cook.

Of course you weren't allowed near the knives, but a peeler wouldn't kill anyone and it would be incredibly stupid of you to try.

Sero watched as occasionally your fingers would go lax around a half peeled potato and you'd disappear off into your head for a while before coming back and finishing it.

He had hoped food prep would be a nice distraction, but you obviously needed something more... you needed a better distraction.

He wasn't a talkative person at the best of times, he couldn't just ramble off a story or spout some random crap for the sake of talking, that was Kaminaris element...

But he could do one thing, even if he really didn't like to do it in front of other people...

But you needed it.

"White lips, pale face
Breathing in snowflakes
Burnt lungs, sour taste..."

He started to softly sing, but you didn't move, seeming to be lost in your head again for a moment... He kept going.

"Light's gone, day's end
Struggling to pay rent
Long nights, strange men..."

You put down the potato you finished and reached for the next when you seemed to register he was saying something... No, not saying. Singing?

"And they say
She's in the Class A Team
Stuck in her daydream
Been this way since eighteen
But lately her face seems
Slowly sinking, wasting
Crumbling like pastries
And they scream
The worst things in life come free to us..."

You lift your head to find him peaking at you from the side of his vision, a small smile tugging at the corner of his mouth to give a crooked smile when he saw your eyes light up just a little... Definitely worth it.

"'Cause we're just under the upper hand
And go mad for a couple grams
And she don't want to go outside tonight
And in a pipe she flies to the Motherland
Or sells love to another man
It's too cold outside
For angels to fly
Angels to fly..."

It wasn't the most uplifting song in the world... A guitar melody usually hid most of the sorrow and pain in the words and singing that song in particular might have been a little harsh, but you were staring at him with wide glistening eyes.

You hadn't expected that of him...

Your hands went lax again on the peeler and potato, but you were present and alight with interest as you stated at him, mouth slightly open. He sounded so beautiful. The smokiness of his throat and the soft high notes of the song worked in perfect synchronicity, you were already dying to hear more.

"I didn't know you could sing. You have a really nice voice..."

"Yeah, he's a little songbird, right princess?"