Chapter 18: Camping

Start from the beginning

"Your window was open". Derek closed the book and placed it next to him.

"I like fresh air". Anita looked to the open window and then back at him.

"And criminals like open windows". Derek raised his eyebrows.

"Aren't you still considered a criminal?" Anita asked while Derek gave her an unamused look. Anita let out a snort before sitting on her desk chair. Anita bounced her feet while Derek looked at her.

"Do you have anymore summer plans?"

"What summer plans? All I do is work at the Police Station". Anita moved some hair behind her ear.

Derek breathed out, tapping his fingers on her bed as he thought for a moment. A small smile made its way on his lips.

"We should go camping. You know that spot-"

"Creakside". Anita cut him off with a bright smile.

"That was the one my sister would always take me too". Anita couldn't contain her smiling and thinking of all the time she camped there made her happy.

Derek nodded with a smile. "The s'mores were always my favorite".

"You ate more then half the bag". Anita pointed at him and he only shrugged.

"I have a sweet tooth".

Anita laughed at his comment then nodded. "I'm in. So when do we leave?" She asked, bouncing in her seat.

Derek laughed at her enthusiasm. He knew she needed a break from everything and in all honestly he did too.

"How about tomorrow? Fourth of July". Derek suggested.

"Perfect".

~~~

"Got it".  Anita stood back as she finished her part of putting up the tent.

"You just had this lying around?" Anita asked as she looked at the tent they put up, her hands on her hips as the two stood next to one another.

"No. I bought it after I left your house". Derek answered, causing Anita's lip to turn into a small smile.

"I call doing the fire".  Anita moved her head to look at him before she started to walk in the woods.

"Don't go too far!"  Derek called to her.

"I won't". 

Anita walked around, grabbing some sticks, once and awhile looking up at the trees with a smile.  She took some deep breathes in and out, enjoying the smell of the outdoors.

Once she collected enough she made her way back and started the fire.  "I love the smell of a campfire".  Anita smiled as she leaned back in her chair, watching the amber sparks fly in the air.

"I like campfires for one reason".  Derek shook the bag of marshmallows in his hand.  Anita laughed at his gesture before leaning over and grabbing a marshmallow from the bag and biting into it.

"That's gross".  Derek told her.  "Eating it raw?  No".  Derek's eyes knitted together as he shook his head.

"Then make me a s'more".  Anita spoke, her words a bit muffled from the marshmallow.

"A s'more of what?"  Derek asked, looking at her.

Anita swallowed the rest of the marshmallow, laughing.  "You know what I mean Smalls".  Anita joked, Derek grinning as he started to cook a marshmallow.

"Annnnd it's burned".  Anita watched it fall off the skewer and into the fire.

Many burnt marshmallows and yummy s'mores later the two sat in silence, listening to the fire crackle.

Anita jumped when she heard something loud and then looked up seeing colors burst in the air.

"I can't remember the last time I saw fireworks". Anita looked up at them in awe as she told him, but Derek wasn't watching the fireworks at all.

Anita continued to look at them as thoughts were running around her head. It was mostly shit. School, ghosts, her parents, this stupid town. She felt trapped. Her lips parted open as she watched a firework burst into red;

"I'm never going to get out of this town, am I, Derek?"  Anita asked, almost in a whisper.

"You can do whatever you want, Anita".  Derek told her seriously.

Anita didn't respond as she looked at the sky for a bit longer before turning her head to Derek.  The two looking at one another before Derek moved some hair away from her face and kissed her. 

Anita kissed back and when the two pulled apart, Anita smiled at Derek with a raised eyebrow.

"That was cliché".  Anita told him.

"Yeah".  Derek let out a chuckle.

"I think the both of us can agree to not do that again".  Anita spoke.

"Agreed".  Derek nodded his head.

It was silent between them again.  A few more fireworks went off and then it ended.  "Well, now it's not cliché anymore".  Derek said and was quick to capture her lips once again.

**these two are definitely my favorite ship I have created**