Chapter Thirty-Seven: "I Feel Left Out Sometimes."

Start from the beginning

It seemed to me that the previous Chelsea Rhone that had covered her face with books and spent her time volunteering in charity work suddenly changed a lot. Her face was clear, exposed, with her blonde hair up in a ponytail and she almost looked like one of those cheerleaders…minus the uniform, of course.

I realized I haven’t answered her question and I stuttered, “he’s fine. He’s actually genuinely happy to be back…thanks to those who gave him a warm welcome.”

I nodded my head, agreeing to my own answer.

She ‘hmm’ed and didn’t reply. I stood awkwardly near my locker door and pushed it close, the sound of metal against metal echoing along the room.

Out of curiosity, I asked, “what did…you and Gerard talk about?”

She tilted her head and, in that moment, I don’t know if she’s playing dumb or just plain confused, “huh? What are you talking about?”

I shrugged as if it wasn’t exactly important, “I went to the hospital and asked the nurse if anyone came by and visited him. The nurse mentioned your name.”

Her eyes widened all of a sudden, “oh…that? That…that was nothing, actually. I just visited, that was all.”

…with the expression you’re giving me right now, even the dumbest girl on Earth would know you’re lying.

“Come on, I won’t be mad, I swear,” I compensated instead. No use trying to get mad at her.

“We talked about the…thing…that happened. Oh God, Lindsey,” she suddenly groaned as she saw my what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about expression. “You know…that…event, come on, you can’t possibly forget!”

And, suddenly, it all clicked in my head.

“Oh my fuck, I’m so sorry. I kinda forgot,” I admitted sheepishly, scratching the back of my neck. “And…? That’s all you’ve talked about?”

She nods and returns to duck her head to tie up the other shoe lace.

This day might not be so good after all.

-

Night time. Gerard’s house. The house had looked pretty dark when I showed up on their street so…I assumed that no one was home.

And, just to clarify, I stepped to their garage just to take a peek. No cars were inside.

I ended up waiting on the sidewalk until around…now. And when I say ‘now’ I meant around 7 o’clock in the evening.

The wind was slowly getting colder and I pulled my jacket sleeves around me tighter before getting a good look at the approaching car.