Chapter 24

Timeskip
(4 years later)

Suyeon's pov

My parents had permanently come back from their overseas business trips. It's been about a month since they settled back in Korea.

They will continue doing business only in Korea. (They own a company)

They live in a separate house while I stayed in the same old apartment. They came to visit today.

I'm celebrating my 22nd birthday today with them. My first birthday with them in a long time. 

I don't exactly miss them because I never grew any attachments on them since I was young. But it was nice for a change, I guess.

"Suyeon, let's go out for dinner to celebrate your birthday?"
My mom hovered over me, who was laying down on the bed.

"Oh okayy"
I flashed a smile.

"Sorry we haven't been able to look after you these past few years. We've prepared a surprise for you, and we hope it'll make up for it"
Dad said, stroking my forehead.

Giving gifts is their love language and I don't mind it, but I feel like it's never sincere.

"Whatever makes you two happy"
I replied.

Timeskip 
(At a restaurant)

I wore a single-strapped black dress and my parents were wearing their formal clothes. 

We sat down at a table and ordered our dinner. My mom ordered us some cake for dessert.

"Will that be all, ma'am?"
The waiter asked.

"Yes, thank you very much"
She replied, handing him the menus.

The waiter walked away and my parents turned to face me. I suddenly felt tense.

"So, how's work? Did you find yourself a good company?"
My dad asked.

"Yea, I work at ****. I do photography, film commercials for brands and edit them"
I replied, smiling awkwardly.

"That's nice, dear. Did you have any other previous jobs while we were away?"
My mom questioned.

I felt my stomach twist. I don't want to remember anything from back then.

"No. I've been in this company all along"
I lied.

"So..how's work overseas? Did you two get to see any scenic places?"
I changed the topic.

"Everything went well. All our deals and offers were accepted, so I'd say our company has flourished, thanks to us"
My dad smirked proudly.

"Yep. And we were lucky to have some free time for ourselves to explore around the cities and greenery. I wish we could bring you along"
My mom pouted.

"It's okay, Ma. I'm happy that you two always supported me financially and allowed me to do what I enjoy in life"
I rubbed the back of her hand.

"Oh my, you've been raised so well"
My mom put on a sad smile.

A few minutes later, the waiter came with our food.

We started eating and sharing the side dishes. I have to admit, it's not really my standards, and it's overpriced.

"Are you still single?"
My mom asked.

I felt my blood flow stop. My heart hit the pit of my stomach, and for a moment, I couldn't breathe.

A mumbled a 'yes' to her, avoiding eye contact.

"Have you dated anyone since we were gone?"
She questioned again.

I much rather spend the rest of my birthdays alone.

"No"
I lied.

"That's great news! The surprise would be even more effective!"
She exclaimed excitedly.

"You, my dear, are getting married!"
My dad said, putting down his cutlery.

"What?"
-Me

"Yes! We've arranged a marriage for you with a rich, handsome guy. You'd be lying if you say you wouldn't want to be his wife"
My dad added.

"You'll meet him soon. This marriage will not only benefit you, but benefit our company as well"
My mom cut in.

This is a gift that I want to 

rip

throw

stomp on

break

burn 

disintegrate

But I can't, because they're giving me a person. They're trying to give me a lover.

"I'm in an arranged marriage with someone?"
I felt a pain in my throat.

"Yes! So do you like your birthday surprise?"
My mom was smiling so widely.

I'd feel worse if I said no.

"Y-yes, ma. Thank you…"
I'm using all my strength to hold back my tears.

"Great! The companies owe this one to you and Mr Park's son"
My dad said.

Who even is he?

I just nodded. I'm losing my appetite. I can't even enjoy the good food.

"Is everything okay, dear? Don't be shy around us about it. I'm sure you've felt lonely these years without a boyfriend"
It was my mom's voice.

"Not at all, I've been doing just fine on my own. But when am I meeting him?"
I asked.

"In 3 days. You'll also greet his parents. After that, you two will move in together the following day"
-Mom

"Yes, we're preparing a house for the two of you already. You'll be his fiancé, so it's better if you two can get close before the official wedding"
-Dad

"Ohh, okay.."
I muttered.

Too much. Too much information. I can't process. 

"I'll go to the restroom for a moment. Excuse me"
I said, standing up from my chair, walking briskly to the restroom.

I pushed the door open and rested my weight against the sink.

The warm tears were already overflowing, pouring down my face. My breathing is becoming unsteady. 

I'm disgusted by this gift.

I'm disgusted by this marriage.

I'm so disgusted by my mom and dad.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My eyes, red rimmed. My nose, like Rudolph's.

I snatched a tissue and patted my face to hide my once tear-stained cheeks. I fanned myself with my hands to calm myself down.

Just let it be.

I'm okay.

I'm Choi Suyeon.

I went back to the dinner table and finished up my meal. Luckily my parents didn't notice any changes in my mood.

They would never notice.

I thanked them for the dinner and my mom stopped me before I was about to leave.

"Don't forget to wear a presentable outfit when we meet their family. I'll text you the address, okay?"
She said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I hummed as a response and wave goodbye to my parents.

These 3 days, I never want it to pass.

___________________________________

A/n: Sorry if I involve a lot of thoughts. I hope it's not super dramatic.