28.

Author's Pov

Elena flailed her arms and kicked her legs, desperately trying to stay afloat. Her head was bobbing up and down in the water, her breaths coming out in gasps. Anne, who had been laughing just moments before, suddenly realized that something was terribly wrong. Elena didn't know how to swim.

Without a second thought, Anne hurled her phone onto the ground and dove into the pool. She swam over to Elena and wrapped her arms around the girl's waist. With powerful strokes, Anne brought Elena toward the edge of the pool, where she helped the gasping girl sit down on the concrete.

Elena lay on her back, panting heavily, her eyes closed. Anne pulled herself out of the water and began to administer chest compressions. After a few tense moments, Elena coughed up some water and finally opened her eyes.

At that moment, Hunter's voice boomed around the pool area. Anne looked up at her father, her eyes wide with fear and guilt. She knew that Elena's near-drowning was not entirely her fault, but she couldn't shake the feeling of responsibility.

"Dad, I-" Anne began to explain, but the words caught in her throat. She looked over at Elena, who was staring up at the sky. Hunter went over to Elena and stroked her hair, trying to get her to focus on him.

"Are you okay, Princess?" Hunter asked, his voice trembling with concern. Elena nodded weakly, still struggling to catch her breath. With Anne's help, she managed to sit up. Anne looked at her sister with a contrite expression, silently apologizing for what had happened.

"Um... Dad, it's not her fault," Elena whispered, her voice barely audible. Hunter shook his head.

"Don't defend your sister, baby. She pushed you, I know," Hunter said sternly, his voice rough with emotion. Anne looked down at her feet, unable to meet anyone's eyes.

Elena shook her head weakly. "No...I-" Before she could finish her sentence, she was interrupted by her mother's piercing scream. The atmosphere grew even more tense and uneasy as everyone turned to face her.

Amora stares at the scene in front of her. Hunter rushes towards his wife, who was looking at Anne with a glare. "Amora, calm down.," Hunter tried to calm her down

Elena's breathing finally started to stabilize, and she sat up. She looked at her father and then at Anne. "Mom, Dad I am okay. Anne didn't know I couldn't swim. I was the one who asked her to bring me to the pool to swim" Elena says. 

"I am sorry" Anne hangs her head in shame. 

Hunter went over to Anne and pulled her into a hug. "It's okay, Annie. You didn't do it on purpose," he whispered, trying to soothe her. Anne hugged her father back, feeling guilty for what had happened.

Hunter asked Amora to take Elena inside and dry her off. Amora nods and took Elena with her. Hunter turned to Anne and knelt down in front of her who was still sitting on the floor. 

"Annie, I know you didn't mean to do it. But you have to be careful. You could've hurt Elena badly," Hunter said, his voice stern but gentle. Anne nodded, still crying.

Hunter pats his daughter's back lovingly, trying to soothe her, "Come. Let's go inside and have something. I am hungry." He says. 

Anne gives her father a smile and Together, they walked inside, hoping that the rest of the day would be better.

Author's Note

It's my birthday today so I knew that I HAD to update it no matter what! I know that I haven't updated for a while but like I said before, I have been busy with my other book. Also, I want to take a break from this book.

 I feel like it's going nowhere. So please don't mind. I have decided to stop this book. It will be marked completed. You can ofc check my other book 'Innocente' which is similar to this one. Also, I might make the second part of this story. (Elizabeth and her mate's story and ofc we will have all the characters and stuff) But for that, I need time. I don't really feel like writing. 

I recently finished my other book 'My Past' so I am just taking a break. ofc if you guys want, I will start again but not only after a few comments-

Anyway! Thank you for giving your love and support! Oh also, A BIG thank you for 24k views! 

Signing off for now~

-Sugar