Chapter 31: Paranoid

Song: Sirens by Ludwig Goransson (aka LEGEND)

April 14, 2024. 3:30 pm

Normal POV:

I currently resetting my apartment, and finished with the kitchen so next is the living room. Elena is currently with Auntie Nicole and Lizzie, giving them enough time to reorganize this damn apartment. I love Nicole, I do but I don't love her organization skill when it comes to a home. My back is killing me but the faster I get this living room done, the faster I reach my alone time. But I already moved my couch like 4 times and I can't decide where to leave it at. So I decided to quickly Facetime Scar. I reach for my phone from my kitchen counter and search for her contact. 'BEANS' 2 rings and she finally answers. I see her with Rose next to her in the frame.

"Y/N!" Rose whisper-yells, moving closer to her mom. "Hi chaparra, how are you? How are my girls today?" I chuckle at her actions while seeing Scar's reaction. "I'm ok, mommy made homemade pizza earlier. I made mine with mushrooms and pepperoni. Mommy had hers with jalapenos and mushrooms." Rose says, quietly. "Cosmo's asleep" Scar informed me as she saw my facial expressions. "Sounds delicious, bug. I hope your mom handled the jalapenos well." I chuckled, imagining her reaction at that moment. "She didn't" Rose exposes her own mother. I see Scar gasp "Your own mother, who birthed you and raised you" "Oh ok, that's my exit. Bye y/n/n" Rose basically runs upstairs.

"I can't wait to see her in her teen years." I tease. "Don't wanna talk about that, I'm so not ready. From my teen years, I can say that I might get my mom's revenge. My poor mom." Scar replies as she slides down into her couch. "So how can I help?" She questions my reason for this call. "Oh yeah, ummm. So I'm currently resetting my living room and I can't decide on any position to leave it in" I tell her as I mount my phone on the nears thing, allowing a good view of the living room. "Why the change?" She asks. "I have this thing where I need to change every room setting and reorganize. It allows this new energy/feeling to enter, well that's what I heard. But it's kinda true, this relief feeling gets to me afterward."

After finishing with the living room with Scarlett's help, we end the call since Cosmo's up and I had a knock at the door. I quickly check through the peak hole but there's no one. 'Probably they got the wrong apartment' I thought as I head to the kitchen but was interrupted by a second knock. I might be paranoid but better to be prepared, I reach for my taser from the kitchen. As I make my way to the door, I quickly text Lucas. '3212' Backup. '10-4' I got it. I open the door slowly, only to see a box. Weirdly positioned and seems a little too perfect to me. I closed the door after taking a quick picture of the door and sending the picture to Lucas. Leave it there as I wait for Lucas. 5 minutes later, Lucas texts me that he's here. "I don't know dude. The top seems stable, meaning there isn't foul play. But I think we should call the cops on this one." Lucas says as he crunches down, admiring the box. "Are you sure?" I quickly double-check with him. "I'm sure. We're ok, my wife is safe." He reassures, coding his words. I just nodded as I dial 911.

Third-Person POV:

As we see some police officers approach, Y/N and Lucas start to identify themselves. "Good afternoon officers, I'm the resident of this apartment. Y/N Rodriguez and this is Lucas Banderas. And this is what we called about." Y/N announced while guiding them to the box. "We haven't moved it nor touched it yet and by the looks of it, seems it's been professionally done and plan. No foul play, but I don't think it's safe to be in the open." Lucas added. "Why is that? I mean you too seem that you're too familiar with this." One of the officers questioned, writing down what we shared. "We're on active duty, army." Lucas shortly described their careers. "This is Major Y/N Rodriguez and I'm Lieutenant Lucas Banderas. Anyways, I'm getting a weird gut feeling about this damn box. Can we continue with this and skip the introduction?" Lucas's body language changes as his impatience grows. "Yes Sir. Can we get back up to my current location?" As the officer finishes his request, the box starts to produce some type of noise. Not a ticking noise but like vibration. "This is Officer Hills, we need additional backup, a Bomb squad, and medical assistants." Officer adds. "Get them to clear the perimeter, Lucas gear up." Y/N orders the officers as they all go out to the parking lot. "Good thing I had some gear left in here." Y/N comments to Lucas as they quickly gear up. "Yeah, but it's alarming," Lucas confesses, following Y/N. As they headed to the officers, their backups started to show up. More officers get to clearing the area and the bomb squad starts gearing up. "I think you should text Nicole before we go in." Lucas quietly comments as he walks away to the group of 12.

Normal POV:

I decided to call Nicole, damn this is going to be hard. I am supposed to be safe in this country, the country I serve to protect. Yet I'm a target. After ringing her, she answers. "Hey Bubba, I have a situation at my apartment. I'm ok but I don't want any of you near my area for a while. It's serious." I quickly interrupted her. " What's happening?" I hear Lizzie ask. "Am I on speaker? Is Lena hearing this?" I don't want to traumatize my own daughter. "Yes, but she's at my house with Robbie. So what's happening, are you ok?" Lizzie adds as her voice starts to shake. "Who's driving?" I check on them, I don't want any incident to happen during this. "Nicole is." Lizzie's voice quietly goes through the call. "There's a suspicious box, that was left near my door. We called 12 and they called in backup when it started vibrating. This is going to take a while, I'll text yall when updates. I have to go, don't worry I'm safe." Hanging up is harder when you're adrenaline is up the roof. "Bomb Squad are in position and starting to go in. When it's stable, both of you are going in to identify any material that could be in the box" Their commander says as he approaches. 10 minutes go by, "All clear the box is secured. Heading back." I hear the radio go through. "Approaching quarantine area, begin gearing up Major and Lieutenant." I nodded to Lucas, as I quickly check on him.

After gearing up, we met the squad at the restricted

After gearing up, we met the squad at the restricted. "Slowly make yall's way to me. We're going to open this box together. I'm Marco, by the way." Marco quietly says through the coms. "I'm Lucas and this is Y/N" Lucas introduces us. "On your left," Lucas adds. "On your right, Marco." I join Lucas. "All right, let's see. My team will be around us, if something seems off, shout retreat. Who am I kidding, yall know this. They're going to pull on our harness if in case of retreating" Marco lightens the environment.

As soon as Marco opens the box, white substances go into the air. "Good thing we're geared up. That's fentanyl at its highest." One of Marco's team members announces. My view clears up, and a burner phone show into view. "Ally, get a second container." Marco orders. "Anything familiar or alarming?" He questions, as Ally approaches with the container and then moves the burner. "Not yet." I replied, as I watch every step Marco made. Marco continues to slowly dig into the original box. "There's an unsealed envelope." Marco narrates, as he passes the envelope to me. I slowly and carefully get whatever there is inside. A letter and a photo. "The handwriting, Y/N/N." Lucas points out. Shit. "Get Brigadier General Brewer on the line. Everything in here is evidence, no one leaves nor enters. Marco, how long does it take to stabilize the burner?" I calmly announced. "3 minutes max, why? What's wrong?" Marco questions. "I'll explain it when you finish stabilizing that damn burner." "RETREAT" Lucas yells, he knows. The box disintegrates. 

A/N: 

I'm back, hungover...Predictions?