Chapter 127 Chloe Barton

Everything about this felt wrong to you. The lies, the deception. You had this gnawing feeling in your gut, but despite all of that, you didn't see another road out.  This was is.

You pull into the concrete jungle carpark of Leipzig-Halle Airport in Clint's big black van. Despite your many protests, big brother was adamant that he was joining this fight.

"Just drop me off and go home Clint." You told him, you only went back for your lucky bow and knife.

His lips pressed together he shook his head, "No can do. We're ending this once and for all. And lets be honest you've been making very poor decisions lately, so I'm gonna take point on this one."

When you pulled onto the middle level you saw him, Steve, he was leaning against the hood of a little volkswagen beetle. His hands tucked into his slacks pockets, as he waited for you.

Fuck. He still had the ability to make you weak, even at a time like this.  Especially at a time like this.

"Thank you. I appreciate this, we both do. " He said to Clint, shaking his hand. There was something wholesome about their newfound bond. It was no secret Clint hated your relationship with him, but there was something in the way they looked at one another. Almost brotherly.

At that Bucky got out of the beetle, giving you a quick smirk as he leaned against the roof.
"Hi." You mouthed, feeling that wash of guilt again for dragging him here.

Clint gave Steve and aggressively manly slap on the back, "I just hope Chlo has forgiven me for knocking her out." He chuckled, you could hear the nerves crackling on his words.
Again, guilt. Fuck.

"Unlikely brother, I still haven't forgiven you for tying my dolls to the big oak tree and using them for target practice." You quip, giving a flippant shrug.

"We should get moving." Bucky announced as sirens began going off in the airport.  You didn't know any German but you heard Bucky whisper to Steve that they were evacuating it.

You step forward to Steve, "We're all in agreement...figure out this HYDRA bullshit, get Bucky back to Wakanda, and let me deal with my sentencing."
The Lagos disaster wasn't lost on you. And even though you were here to find away to get rid of HYDRA and expose the Government once and for all, you still had to face the consequences. No matter what.

"If thats what you really want then we respect your decision." Clint said, handing you your weapons bag, "right Cap?"

Steve didn't get the chance to answer. Sirens became louder, interrupting everything.  That meant one thing. Tony was here.

Fuck.

Steve's jaw clenched, "Suit up."

You walked onto the runway, hanging behind Steve a little.  Clint was on your left, and Bucky on your right. Maybe this didn't need to end in a fight. If you could just get Tony to listen, really listen.

Tony pulled back his helmet, "You know..." his tone was dripping with that Stark sarcasm, "just when you think you've seen them make the stupidest decision in the world, they go and do better."

Rhodey stood silently next to him, not saying a word. His loyalty was always to Tony. And that was good. It made you feel a fraction better knowing he wasn't alone.

He narrowed his eyes in on you.
Of course he did.
You were to blame, for all of this.
The rotten apple, spoiling his team.