Chapter 48 Chloe 'I'm too scared to admit that I'm in love' Barton

Your body shivers in the chill of morning, the sun streams through the car window assaulting your eyes with its harsh rays, you are still sat between Steves legs on the passenger seat, his t-shirt draped across you, he must have covered you when you fell asleep. You don't even remember falling asleep.
You need a shower, and a breath mint.
Clearing your throat, you look round to see if Steve has stirred yet, he is sleeping soundly, his lips parted ever so slightly.
Looking at him like this makes your heart warm, would he notice if you kissed him?
Before you even get the chance, his eyes dart open.
"What time is it?" He sits forward squashing you to the dashboard, Steve fumbles about frantically searching for something.
You glance at your watch, "its a little after 5am." Beginning to feel awkward, as the memory of last night is pushed aside by the creeping burden of being on the run.
He nods anxiously, "we should go."
You take off the black t-shirt that blanketed you, and hand it to Steve, using your arms to cover your breasts, the judgemental light of the morning exposing your every vulnerability, the ghost of last night still lingering between you both.
He slides over to the drivers seat tossing your sports bra and vest on your lap, as he takes charge of the situation. Sheepishly, you begin dressing yourself sliding up your pants, a vortex swirls around your mind screaming all the unspoken words.
Regret fills you up, you look over at Steve as he concentrates on driving, his lip curls and his eyes flit from side to side. An overwhelming urge to smooth his messy blonde hair sweeps over you, but you quash the feeling back down to the pit of your desires.
Steve glances out of the corner of his eye at you, turning his head a half a smile pokes out "what?" He asks suspiciously.
Now is your chance to mention last nights endeavours, now is your chance to tell him that despite the location and circumstances, ironically it was the safest you have ever felt.
But alas you chicken out, because you are a big fucking pussy.
"Nothing, just wondering where we are going." WHY CAN'T YOU JUST TELL HIM?!
You wish that he could keep driving till you reach the end of the earth and live a life of peace together, but that would never happen. Because this time you are the one doting over a sexual encounter, and he is probably wishing that it had never happened. At least this time you were sober. Small victories.
Karma is a dish best served mortified. Thats what you've been served.
You cant blame him. He's been betrayed by you twice, Tony eugh! And Loki. Loki is the worst betrayal because there were feelings.
"I think I know a place." Steves voices booms in your ear, dragging you from your pit of dread and self loathing.
Simply you reply "Oh."
Steves hand reaches over and rests itself on top of yours, his thumb tracing the lines on the palm of your hand, sending shocks to your core.
The small intimate gesture igniting hope.

***

"Hey man." A tall handsome man opens the sliding front door of his condo.
Steve bows his head apologetically "I'm sorry about this, we need a place to lay low."
The man looks at you bewildered, he puts his hand on his chest "Sam." He introduces himself politely.
"Chloe," replying as he steps aside allowing you to enter "everyone we know is trying to kill us."
"Not every one." He replies gently showing you to his bedroom, handing you and Steve a towel each.
He hands Steve a pair of sweat pants and a matching t-shirt, which will be a better fit.
"Use whatever you need.  Waters hot, pressure isn't great. Take a nap." Sams nervous rambling is adorable.
Steve turns to him, grabbing his hand and hugging him "Thanks Sam."

You strip naked, and step into the shower, turning up the temperature, allowing the feeble pressure to rain on you, washing away your worries.
Lathering up mens shower gel in your hands you massage suds into your skin, closing your eyes tipping your head back, the hot water running through your hair. Eyes still shut you reach out, feeling for a bottle of shampoo.
You sense his presence, opening your eyes slowly to see Steve standing in front of you, completely naked. He takes your face between his hands kissing you adoringly, time seemed to stand still, your brain and body locked in ecstasy. He cradles you, his warm body pressed against yours, tilting your head back under the stream of the shower, intertwining his fingers in your hair washing it.
He kisses you softly on the forehead, as you move to allow him under the flow of the water.

***
Towel drying your hair as you sit on the edge of the bed, Steve exits the bathroom.
Say the words Chloe, you want to say them.
"You okay?" He's concerned about you.
A little sigh of relief escapes your mouth "my backs a little sore, we did sleep in a stolen car." You shut up quickly, realising that you accidentally admitted that it wasn't Clint's car.
He sits in front of you, a sweet but worrisome smile on his face "its more than that, whats goin on?"
His face is serious now, his ocean eyes search yours for an answer, and you're not sure you can give him one.
"I got a lot riding on this, one fuck up and you wont trust me anymore." You are terrified of losing him, terrified of loving him.
The thought of disappointing Steve weighs heavy on your mind.
He moves closer to you, "That wont happen, I trust you with my life." His voice soft but firm.
A lump builds in your throat, "why?" A tear falls from your eye splashing onto your lip.
Steve reaches out and wipes it with his thumb, your mind infatuated with every little moment you spend with him.
"Why? Chloe, why can't you see yourself the way I see you?" His words make you blush. He feels the same. He took a chance on you, after you thought he had written you off as nothing more than a junkie, he saw your worth.
"I owe you." You turn your head away, unable to accept his compliments.
You owe him the truth, before you can both continue... no, start. Yeah start is more accurate...
"I...uh...I had..." fuck why is this so hard?! "I slept with Loki." Guiltily bowing your head in shame.
"I know, I saw the cell footage." He replies sheepishly.
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
Fucking Tony.
Fuck.
"Why did you tell me?" His lips pursed together, he takes your hand, intertwining his fingers with yours.
"I don't want there to be any secrets between us." You look at him with sincerity.
Slowly the wall that you spent so long building starts to crumble "I want there to be a chance." You are letting him in, you are letting Steve Rogers into your heart.
"A chance for what?" He moves forward again your knees touching.
Looking up through your lashes "Us."
Your breathing speeds up as the moment of silence between you seems to last forever, has he changed his mind? Have you ruined everything?
You don't want Loki, you want Steve. Loki was... you aren't actually sure what Loki was.
Loki was something you wanted, you saw pieces of yourself in him he was broken, you wanted to fix him. Because if  you could help Loki then maybe there was a glimmer of hope for you.
The kiss, the sex was a lustful spontaneous affair.

Steve, Steve is different. Steve is like fresh air, his voice soothes you like a cup of honey and lemon tea. He makes you want to be the best version of yourself.

He lifts your hand to his mouth, leaving a gentle kiss on the back "Chloe...I..."
Sam bursts through the door...
"Hey guys I made breakfast, if you guys eat that sort of thing."
Jumping up breaking the touch between you and Steve, you clear your throat and smile nervously at the room.
"I could eat!" You follow Sam out of the bedroom leaving Steve in the silence of unspoken words.

Terrified of rejection, terrified of being loved.
Toxic and self deprecating.