Chapter 74 Clinton Francis Barton.

The rain pours from the heavens trickling down your scalp dripping off your nose. You've been standing here in the downpour for over a day now, combing the shore any sign of Chloe.
Your entire body aches, the pain of the unknown bearing its heavy weight down on you.
Where are you Chloe?
The thought of her body lying at the bottom of the river bed decomposing amongst peoples rusted discarded trash etches itself in your mind, resting beside the guilt of thinking that she wasn't strong enough to fight the current.
You stare through the cop that stands in front of you his mouth moving but no words can be heard.
The image of her blue skin being nibbled at by minnows, her blonde hair swaying in the drift taking over your thoughts.
"Clint." Natasha nudges you, bringing you back to the moment.
"I'm sorry Mr Barton sir, with the temperature in the water and the length of time we are now looking at recovery, it is no a longer rescue." His lips press into a sympathetic simper as he tilts his hat.
Nat nods. Turning to you, her eyes bloodshot with tears.
"Clint...I..."
"No! Do not tell me to go home Nat." You snap aggressively, "I'm not leaving without her." You splutter, you can't bear to leave her.
"Shes not in the river Clint, they've combed it a hundred times." She edges closer to you trying shield you from the downpour with the umbrella shes been holding for hours, her voice stained with feigned hope.
You meet her blurry gaze is she right, "she can swim," you nod frantically, "she's a good swimmer." You cling to every ounce of doubt you can, "Chloe's not down there."
You feel the warmth of Nats hand sliding into yours, "then we just have to wait for her to come back to us." She rests her head on your shoulder.
Shes right.
At least you hope she's right.
"Clint, she'll come back when she's ready." Nat whimpers, as though she is trying to convince herself.
"If she doesn't wash up dead somewhere." You regretted the words as soon as you said them.
Saying it out loud cracked your chest, because although you try to cling on to the hope that shes alive, the image of her dead body still haunts your mind.
A strangled sob pushes from deep inside you, "she could be dead Nat, and if she's..." you gasp for breath, a guttural moan building within as the pain and guilt overwhelms you, "no...no...no!" Looking out to the water, "she cant be...shes alive."
Trying to cope with the unknown is killing you, guilt consumes you.
How could you have failed her, again?
All you had to do was look after her.
You fall down to your knees in despair, Nat falls with you holding you, the tears streaming down her face.
"Nat..." crying out desperately, searching for something...you don't even know what any more.
Nat pushes her fist through the ground into the pebbled shore, "I'm sorry...I shouldn't have let her go..." she exhales deeply in sorrow.
"Theres no stopping her, you know that." Checking your cell briefly.
"Laura...checking in?"
You nod half heartedly.
"I'm sorry Clint."
You cant let Nat blame herself, there is only one person to blame. Thats you.
Thats you for getting her into this mess, introducing her to this world.
Nat tries to lift you off the ground, "I...I failed her..." you voice hoarse with weeping.
"We all failed her." She groans pulling you to your feet.

"We have to find her. I need to find her." Your heart aches.
Where are you Chloe?