Chapter 57 Chloe Barton

Thank you to my darlings Ella and Elle for your help with my writers block. Couldn't have done this without you both. ♥️♥️

*****

Our tyres screech to a halt in panic causing the armoured vehicle behind to rear end us, hurtling us towards the towering form of the masked man, was he even a man? The metal arm and sheer strength and ability makes you wonder if he's even human? Steve was strong, Steve was fast.  But this guy was more.
Sam tries to regain control of the erratically moving vehicle as it spins on the freeway, bashing off barriers. You feel like your internal organs are being spun around inside your body. You brace your neck into Steves chest, he tries to support it with his free hand.
"This might be a bad time to mention that I get car sick!" You whine.
Your fingers are white as you grip onto Natasha as strongly as possible trying your best to stop her from being thrown through the windshield. A searing pain screams inside your shoulder as the ligaments are strained by the grasp you have on Nats jacket.
Steve bangs his body against the passenger door, "hang on!" Knocking the door off the car, sparks flying everywhere as it crashes to the tarmac, Steve drags you, Nat & Sam out of the car.
"Hold on to fucking what Steve?!" You roar as you free fall out of the car, landing on top of his shield, which lies on the detached car door practically sledging along the road.  Licks of sparks singe your hair and the smell of burning metal and hair fills your nose.

"Get out of the way Chlo!" Steve shoves you as the car cannons towards you.
Fuck!
You roll behind another car using it as protection.
Whole body shuddering with adrenaline you take deep breaths, trying your best to strategise. What now?
Is everyone okay?
You jump up at the eery silence, taking place next to Steve.
"I hate to be a pussy Steve, but I think we should get out of here."
Thats a solid plan Chlo.
Run.
The soldier carries a colossal gun, over his shoulder aiming it directly at you and Steve.
Fucked.
You knew.
Nat shouts from beside you, "Steve, I agree.  We can't beat this guy. Not without decent weapons! Lets go!" She yells.
The soldier fires at you, a grenade speeds towards you.
Natasha grabs you dragging you over the hood of an SUV.
You watch as Steve holds up his shield taking the force of the shot. It bounces off his shield, his entire body thrown off the bridge and catapulted through a city bus.
An involuntary scream escapes you, "Steve!!!!" You tank over the ledge landing down below, your ankle crunching under the weight of your fall. Shards of glass hurl through the air slicing you as another blast goes off on the bridge.
"Barton, take cover!!" Nat screams, as she fires bullets blindly in the soldier's direction.
"Nah! I'm shooting this tin man motherfucker!!!!!" You roar, aiming from behind a red sedan, you take a shot at his head, landing a bullet on his goggles.
"What a shot Chloe!!" Sams urgent voice comes through the comms, "clear hit."
"Yo big bird, where the fuck are you?!" You yell back, realising you haven't seen him.

You take a second to breath, ripping parts of your shirt into rags tying them around your superficial wounds, trying to stem some bleeding.
Straightening out your ankle you take a sharp breath, you roll up the leg of your jeans, "fuck a duck!" You wince as you try and assess the damage.

Your body starts to convulse as the adrenaline rush dips breaking you out in a cold sweat.

The soldier jumps freely from the bridge, landing on a car below, crushing it under his weight. A huge automatic gun slung over his shoulder, he walks dominating the air around him. The atmosphere turns dense.
This is it.
This is the end.
"Uh guys...I think I pissed him off." You scramble along the ground weakly in order to get out of the firing line, you roll under a car to take cover.

To Be Continued...