Chapter 97 Steve Rogers - The Party Part 3

Seeing Chloe flit around the room pains you deep inside your chest.
Tony was right, you were keeping her in the dog house, and it wasn't fair.
But thinking that she was dead for all those weeks, spending countless sleepless nights searching for her or staring at the ceiling picturing her cold lifeless body floating underwater, that had taken its toll on you.
Finding her alive and living with the very person that put her in the situation in the first place, that hurt more than you care to admit out loud.
Its shameful, you know it is.
But its how you feel, or felt.
It didn't take long for Natasha to reign you in.
Sharons been a good friend too, but thats all it is.
Friends.
There will never be any one like Chloe again.

***
"You look beautiful Chloe." You smile kindly at her, its nothing short of the truth. She is stunning.
You know she hates the dress and the shoes, but its a good look on her.
You miss her smile though, that was always her best look.
"Thats been the general opinion." She smooths out her dress then folds her arms, "you lost Cap?" She sneers, but you see through it.
Shes hurting just like you are.
You lean against the bar, "can we try...try to be friends again?" You plead not able to hide the waver in your voice.
Chloe turns her head away from you rolling her eyes, "your girlfriend is looking for you." She juts her elbow out towards the crowd, you see Sharon Carter looking around and once her eyes settle on you, you hold your hand up halting her from coming over.
'Girlfriend'? Is that why Chloe is being so cold?
Shit.
Of course she would think that, guilt bubbles inside you like an irritant.
"Chlo, shes not my girlfriend. Shes just a friend."
"Ha!" She snaps back quickly, "you are fuckin' clueless Rogers y'know that." She shakes her head, mumbling, "you'll be married by spring." She didn't mean for you to hear it, definitely forgetting about your enhanced hearing.
You brush it off.
Stepping closer to her desperately wanting to brush her arm with your fingertips, you miss the feel of her skin against yours, "forget about Sharon, Chloe. We fix our...friendship." You wanted to say relationship,
all you want is to have her back in your arms. Nestled in your chest.
She takes a step away from you wrapping her arms around herself.
As you watch her emotionally protect herself you feel
the same wave of guilt wash over you again.
Clint was right, you pushed her away.
Of course she wouldn't want to come back to you.
Maybe it's time to let her go.
You've never given up fighting before. 
But if it's really what she wants then maybe this time you will.
"We were never friends Rogers." Sadness fills her eyes as they brim with tears, you observe her trying not to blink, and that breaks your heart.
"You were my friend." You sigh defeatedly, "enjoy your party Chloe." You offer her a sad smile before bowing out.
"Steve...?" She calls after you, a spark of hope soars through your body, "about Sharon."
Shoulders slumping you simply reply, "yeah?" Looking out across the party.
Sniffling back some stray tears hoping no one will notice.
Hiding them from Chloe.
"Never mind." He voice goes soft, sad.

You dip your head once more and leave her at the bar, making your way outside for a moment of calm.
You've lost her.