Chapter 81 Bucky Barnes

1 month later...

You managed to convince the owner of the fruit stall at the market to give Chloe a job, and boy did it take some convincing. It's not that you both needed the money, you are equally content with living a simple life and you have more than enough cash left from what Chloe 'borrowed' from the many many suitcases you raided together when you fled.
This kept her busy, there is very little to do in the apartment and you know that her itch worsens when she is idle. This kept her demons at bay and it helped suppress the guilt that eats you from the inside out.

You wait to cross the street, watching Chloe as she banters with patrons. Her smile wide and infectious, her wheezing laugh is cheeky and 9 times out of 10, funnier than the joke. You can see why Steve was drawn to her. She is the type of gal you would both have chased back in the 40's, and you'd have won her over. Not now though. You are an empty shell of what you used to be.
Chloe beams as you approach her stall, "one sec Buck," she finishes bagging oranges for an elderly lady, winking as she throws in an extra one.

"I uhh...just came to see if you needed anything from the supermarket?" you look around suspiciously always keeping your wits about you, hating being out in the open and exposed for too long.

Chloe loves it, she hates being caged up.

"Oh yeah!" she replies her eyes flitting as she thinks, "can you grab some toothpaste, we're almost out Buck." a soft smirk corners her mouth.

It pains you how quickly she has forgiven you, or appears to have forgiven you. She has adapted to this 'new life', maybe that's her superpower; emotional chameleon.

She sweeps her long blonde hair behind her ears and adjusts her apron, throwing you a plum which you catch easily in your gloved hands, "anything else Chloe?"

"actually yeah. I think I'm gonna go out dancing with some of the guys from the market." she points down towards other stalls, a mixture of faces wave as they catch her gaze.

Over your dead body, no actually over hers! Not a chance in hell. Is she stupid?

"I don't think that's a good idea." you try to hide the anger in your voice, but it comes across assertive and you know she isn't going to like that.

She's only been clean a month, drinking and going into a nightclub environment is moronic to say the least. Not to mention your worst nightmare. She leans across the stall to meet your eye line, her fresh face extenuates how young she is, and you remember that she is twenty two.

"I wasn't asking for your fucking permission Buck," she's pissed at you, her brows furrow and nostrils flared.
You hope that if you stare at her long enough she'll give in, "I don't think you're being sensible."
"Bucky!" She scoffs leaning in to stare back, "I'm going out...suck it up." She shakes her head dismissively, mumbling "whats your fucking problem." Under her breath.
You let out a humongous defeated sigh, "I know I can't stop you, but I'm asking you...please don't go."
Her minds made up, making a reckless decision like this worries you.  You're not entirely sure that Chloe is coping, maybe she's not okay...but it looks like you're going to have to find that out the hard way.
You nod respectfully, you can't force her to stay so you turn and make your way across the street.
She's going to have to make her own mistakes, and all you can do is  be there to catch her when she falls.
"Bucky!" She yells after you.
You spin on your heel, maybe shes come to her senses.
She waves her hand in the air bracelets jangling, "if you wanna take the stick out of your ass, maybe you could join us?" She wiggles her eyebrows playfully. Whats her game?
"Funny!" You shout back shaking your head, "i'll see you at home." You continue on your way.
'Home', it just slipped out.
You look at Chloe and it seemed like saying it out loud to her punched all the air from her. She has clung onto the side of the stall, clutching her chest. Remembering. For a brief second her head pulled from the sand.
A young couple with a child approach the stall and you watch on as Chloe plasters a fake smile across her face, she crouches down to the toddler and hand him a strawberry. 
You know that you'll have to be there for her to watch her fail, you'll have to help her back up and try again. Maybe doing this will help free your mind.