War [Kaeya & Diluc]

NOTE: Ehe, it's long...

Kaeya POV:

I banged the empty wine glass on the counter and buried my head into my arms, Mondstadt just had a huge group of hopeful youngsters who wanted to apply for a knight, as the Cavalry Captain, it's my responsibility to take notes of each individual's performance then deliver it up to Jean's office. Alcohol was my way of relaxing and rewinding.

"No second glass?" Diluc says to me, his eyes never softened around me, not that I cared. I shook my head as I got up to leave, I stepped out of the tavern and began walking, not too long after I started shivering in the cold, did I forget my coat? Darn! I left it on the stool in the tavern! I turned on my heel and walked quickly back to the tavern, I opened the door in a hurry only to be welcomed by a sight I'll never forget. Diluc was burying his face into my fluffy coat and he seemed to be enjoying it. When he noticed I was staring, his face registered shock. I smirked, "Oh, so you do actually give a damn about me~" I said as I took my coat back, "A-ahem, the tavern is closed, please see yourself out" he said awkwardly, I rolled my eyes jokingly and went to rest. The next morning I was urgently called to the Acting Grand Master's office, I got there as fast as my feet would carry me. I knocked sharply, "Come in!" she said, I asked her what the situation is, she then informed me, in several parts of Mondstadt citizens from Khaenri'ah are either assaulting, abusing, or harming Mondstadt citizens, and the ruler of Khaenri'ah is going to declare a war. My heart skipped a beat, oh no oh no... if the war does happen, who am I supposed to support? Jean seemed to notice my sudden panic attack, so she said to me quietly, "Just stand for who you think is right" then I was dismissed. I closed the door behind me as Klee, the spark knight waltzed up to me, "Uncle Kaeya! Uncle Kaeya! Adelinde wrote you a letter!" she said and waved an envelope in my face, "Thank you Klee!" I said kneeling down and gave her a bear hug. I took a seat on the bench just across from the alchemy table and opened the crisp white envelope. It read:

Dear Master Kaeya,
I have dearly missed you, and I hope you are doing well. I'd like to invite you to the Dawn Winery for a hearty dinner this evening at 19:00, please come if you are available. I miss you lots! - Adelinde

I smiled at the letter, she was so kind. Diluc sure is lucky to have her as a maid. At around 18:55 I found myself standing in front of the house that I lived in my entire childhood, I took a deep breath and knocked gently on the door. I heard the echo of footsteps as Adelinde's voice floated down the stairs. The door opened and she smiled broadly at me, "Master Kaeya! Welcome home! Please come in, I'm almost done!" I thanked her and took my boots off and left them on the wooden stand beside the door. I sat myself down on the red velvet couch and stared at the books on the shelf opposite me, it was full of children's storybooks Dad used to read to us. My heart melted and ached at the same time. I felt a hand on my shoulder, I jolted. "What are you doing here?" It was Diluc.

"You might have forgotten, this is my home as well, and for your information, Adelinde invited me for a hearty dinner" I said smugly, he looked so unamused.

"That's right!" Adelinde said while carrying plates, "Master Diluc, please don't cause a stir today" she then hurried to set the table up. I continued to stare smugly at Diluc as he rolled his eyes. He then sat down at the couch opposite me then started to read one of the children's books off the shelf, I tried to hold in my giggle.

A few moments later, Adelinde called us to the table, "So Master Kaeya, what have you been up to?" she asked while looking at me hopefully. "Drinking and being a hot mess at the tavern" said Diluc sarcastically, Adelinde eyeballed him with a look that said, 'That's no way to treat a guest' he shrugged.

"Ah, I was going to say, before I was so RUDELY interrupted... I have been taking notes of all the applicants that are applying for a position at the knights, we are still looking for one more position, as a certain somebody dropped out" I said, eyeing Diluc, he avoided my gaze. "Oh my! That must be a really tough job, why don't you stay the night?" she suggested. Ooooh, Diluc is not going to like this a lot, and I can't just reject Adelinde's kind offer, so I kind of stammered out, "A-ah... well... I certainly don't want to trouble you Adelinde..." I started fidgeting nervously. "Nono, it's no trouble at all! I barely get to see you, and at formal events serving tea to the Knights of Favonius is a must, it doesn't count, you have to let me spoil you!" she said, grabbing onto my arm, shaking it slightly. "Well...uh...I...ah..." I couldn't form words. Just then, Diluc spoke up looking sarcastically concerned, "What's wrong? Lost your swagger?" I turned to give him a look that said, "Shut the hell up", he avoided my glance and rested his chin on his hand and spoke up again, "Come on now dear brother..." I could tell he winced when he said 'brother', jeez. "You couldn't DREAM of disappointing poor Adelinde now would you?" he said with a hint of annoyance in his voice. "Haha..." I laughed nervously, "Of course not! T-then I'll take you up on the offer Adelinde! One spare room please!" I said, trying my best to smile. She then lead me into the room I used to sleep in when I was a small lad, memories flashed back in my mind, "t-this isn't the s-spare room" I said and trailed off, "I know, I wanted you to feel most at home so..." she looked at me hoping for a response. I smiled and told her I liked the idea very much. I sat on the slightly small single bed and stared up at the ceiling, there were tin foil stars and silvery comets that Diluc and Dad helped me paint up there. I used to wish on them thinking every time I had a problem it'd be solved. I am aware that tin foil stars won't magically solve all the issues in my life, but it was a feeling of hope. I closed my eyes and dived into the dream world, the next morning I was awoken by loud banging on my bedroom door, "WAKE UP!!!" it was Diluc, what does he want now? "WHAT? I'M TRYING TO SLEEP YOU IDIOT" I yelled back, "JUST OPEN THE FREAKING DOOR!!!!'' Oh my gosh, seriously... I got up and opened the door, "Jesus Christ, what?" I said exasperatedly, "Your ruler decided to declare a war in Mondstadt, it's going to happen in 2 weeks" he said showing me this morning's newspaper, I looked at him worriedly, "Uh... so are you going to be mad or something if I chose to stand with my hometown? I'm still not sure right now..." I said, sounding extremely anxious. He looked down at his feet, "That's the thing" he said, "I'd like to discuss this with you over at Good Hunter ''. My head spun for a minute, did he just invite me to a meal without Adelinde's charm? I smiled, "Oh, yeah of course!" He and I set off immediately. When we arrived, Sara was extremely surprised to see us together, "Welcome gentlemen!" she said warmly, "what will it be today?".