Chapter 1 - The Truth Shall Set You Free

Sam's POV

"Come on, G. We all know I'm a better driver than you. How many times have you been to traffic school?" I asked, walking into the bullpen with G.

"Hey! That was once! You can't hold that against me! We were on a case, chasing a criminal. It's not my fault criminals think they can get away by driving 200km/h! We would of lost the suspect if I didn't brake a few traffic laws!" G argued.

"Yeah once.....how bout that time when you sped a red light, WHILE THE COPS WERE DRIVING IN THE LANE NEXT TO YOU! Seriously G, who does that?"

"Come on Sam, you're telling me you've never been pulled over or sent to traffic school because of your little texting whilst driving 'incidents'? How many times have you almost killed someone because of your phone, huh?"

"Come on man, just agree. Even he's a better driver than you and he's...well, Deeks!" I stated, pointing to Deeks, who had just walked into the bullpen. Callen just laughed, realising he wouldn't win this argument.

"Hahah, what are we talking about? Callen's bad driving? Haha, I'd have to agree, you are a pretty terrible driver! Ohh but not as bad as Ken-" Deeks started, before being cut of by Kensi walking into the bullpen. "Hey Kensi!" He yelled, suddenly seeming excited. Me and Callen exchanged a look. Deeks definitely liked her.

"I am not a bad driver!" Kensi yelled, punching Deeks.

"Ow! Seriously, partner? Kens? Sunshine? Sugar bear? Light of my life?" Deeks continued, before hearing a whistle coming from the top of the stairs.

"We got a case!" Eric informed, turning on his heel heading back towards ops.

"Sorry, partner. Gotta go." Kensi replied, following Eric upstairs. Do those two have a thing? You know, the kind of 'thing' that involves a relationship outside of work? You never know with those two, both being so protective and private about their lives. Well not as much Deeks, because he is always going on about girls that he meets at bars and the walks that he goes on with Monty, all of that boring stuff, but I still have a feeling he has some secrets he would rather not share. And to be honest, don't we all?

When we all walked into ops, Eric started to play footage of a murder in downtown LA.

" Two hours ago, A former LAPD detective's car was found at the bottom of a cliff, in downtown LA. This seemed to be an accident at first, but the forensics report just came in. He had been injected with diazepam." Eric explained.

" So this is becoming a murder?" Kensi confirmed.

" Okay, but if it was a former LAPD detective, why are we being assigned to this case?" I asked.

"Hetty. She figured Deeks would want to be involved in this case and since he is working with us now, it's a NCIS case." Nell explained, looking at Deeks.

"What? Why would I want to be involved in this?" Deeks questioned, everyone's eyes focusing on him.

"That's a question only Hetty can answer. That is if you don't know."

"Okay, so who is this former LAPD detective?" Callen asked, eager to get started on the case.

"Gordon John Brandel. He was married to a Linda Rose Brandel and they had two sons, Martin Andrew Brandel and Max Drew Brandel. Linda was relocated to Europe after her divorce because of the violence that Gordon brought to the family, not having taken the divorce well." Eric stated, everyone still looking at Deeks to see how he reacted when he heard that name. Were they partners? Did Deeks know him? Were they friends?

I was stopped by my thoughts, when Deeks got up and ran out of ops. I looked at Kensi and Callen. Kensi went to run after him, but I stopped her.

"Kens, it's okay. I'll go." I told her, running after Deeks. When I walked downstairs I noticed Deeks sitting at his desk.

"What was that about?"

"Look, Sam? I really don't want to talk about it now, okay? I just need to get out of here." He replied, packing up his stuff and standing up.

"Mr Deeks, a word?" Hetty asked. He nodded and walked over to Hetty's desk.

"Yeah?"

"Mr Deeks, I made sure this case was given to us, because I thought it was what you would have wanted. I know this case is going to be hard, but if you want to find out who did this, you are going to need to trust the team and tell them everything and I suggest you do it sooner rather than later?"

"Hetty-"

"Now, Mr Deeks." She commanded. He nodded and walked back up to ops, with me following behind.

"Deeks? Care to explain hat just happened?" Callen asked.

"Eric, pull up a file under the name 'Brandel-lockup', zoom in on the left." He told Eric. A picture popped up of a mugshot of Gordon John Brandel.

"You know this man?" Kensi asked. "What was your friend?" She continued.

"Gordon John Brandel was my father." He explained.