157. Only After One Life

Start from the beginning

Hyunbin looked at her, who was faintly visible in the distance. When he spoke, his voice was stronger than before.

"I am going to save Her Majesty, the Empress of the Ruford Empire. I will also save my daughter's life...so don't say a word."

"I understand..."

Chisu gave a reluctant nod, as he was already familiar with Count Blaise's stubbornness.

"But I still need men to move with me, so we'll split the troops in half. Everything must be carried out without Her Majesty's knowledge."

"...Yes, My Lord."

"And I ask one more thing of you."

Hyunbin pulled out an elegant black envelope. The moment Chisu saw it, he immediately knew what it was. Each year, the knights of the Fourth Order wrote a will. It was a unique tradition unknown to anyone else. If one were to partake in a high dangerous mission and then died, it was customary to deliver the letter to the family. Hyunbin had written a letter this year.

Chisu shook his head and refused.

"No. I will follow you."

"What do you mean? You must stay here to protect the Empress."

"My Lord, I..."

"Are you going to disobey my order?"

"...No."

He lowered his head submissively, and accepted the letter with trembling hands. Meanwhile, Hyunbin's face was as calm as a pond's surface.

"After I leave, pass it on to Her Majesty later."

"Yes...I swear on my life."

"Then let's do it tonight. There is no need to drag this out."

At the same time, Hyunbin's dark green eyes shone with a determined light.

"Start the preparations right away."

"...Understood."

Chisu bowed his head, then turned his horse away to begin the coordination of the troop transfer. The unit would be divided into two—those who would escort Lalisa to the border, and those who would remain behind with Hyunbin and face Namgil.

No matter how experienced or strong a knight was, each one was afraid of death. However, because they were the elite men of the Ruford Empire, they all accepted their orders with no hesitation. They had given their vow to the Emperor that they would not return unless Lalisa was safe.

Soon, night had fallen.

Lalisa dozed in her seat, her father's coat wrapped around her like a blanket. She had to find every small way she could to rest during their unceasing march. After a time, however, she dimly realized that she hadn't seen her father in a while, and she deliberately roused herself awake.

"Where's Count Blaise now?"

Chisu, who was riding next to her, avoided her gaze and answered quietly.

"He's patrolling the area."

"I haven't seen him in a while. What if something happened?"

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. He will probably be back soon."

"Is that so...?"

She looked at him dubiously, but she didn't press further. As Chisu said, her father may have gone ahead to scout, and the aide didn't look particularly worried.

They rode on in silence. Chisu seemed conflicted, and he spoke to Lalisa in a cautious voice.

"Your Majesty..."