82. Stop Right There

Lalisa had been too preoccupied with the turmoil in her mind to eat much, and Jungkook kept shooting her concerned glances. After finishing dinner, they both returned to their shared bedroom.

'...Why was he looking at me so affectionately?'

She remembered how her brother would leave her a cup of sweet cocoa after her father became upset with him. It would never fail to lift her spirits whenever she drank it, but the feeling she had from Jungkook's gaze contained a deeper sweetness than the cocoa.

The problem was that nothing about Jungkook had changed; nothing in his gaze, tone, and behavior.

What had changed what her acceptance of him.

'Keep your head straight, Lisa. Don't you remember what you have to do?'

The lives of her family members were on her shoulders. She had no time to look elsewhere. However...she couldn't help but feel an attraction towards Jungkook. She didn't know when it started. At some point, the emotion had embedded itself deep in her mind and sprouted roots. If she looked back at him, she knew that her heart would beat wildly.

'I'm beginning to be aware of the opposite sex...'

Lalisabriskly shook her head. She had to sort this out before it tightened its grip on her. She needed to keep her distance from Jungkook...

"Ah!"

She let out an involuntary gasp. When she looked up in the mirror, she saw Jungkook staring right at her.

"W-what are you doing here, Kookie?"

"You didn't respond to me no matter how many times I called you."

"Ah...."

She must have been too lost in thought to realize he had been calling her. Jungkook, however, did not leave. He simply leaned against the door frame of the powder room with his arms crossed as he stared at her. Lalisa broke eye contact from him and opened her mouth to speak.

"Well, you've checked in on me, so you may leave now."

"What were you thinking about?"

Just a moment ago, Lalisa shook her head to shove away the thoughts in her mind. Anyone would be curious.

"...It's nothing."

Jungkook looked at her doubtfully, but fortunately he didn't press her further. He continued to study her face for a moment, then turned and strode away with his long legs.

"Whatever it is, it's time to go to bed."

Lalisa remembered they were married. It was impossible to stay away from Jungkook while she tried to find her peace of mind. Under the terms of the contract marriage, they had to face each other at every meal, and then they would see each other again each time when they went to bed.

'...Please god.'

Lalisa dropped her forehead onto her hand.

*

*

*

After she finished in the powder room, she took a few cautious steps into the bedroom, and saw Jungkook was seated languidly on the couch waiting up for her. His ordinary appearance felt different from usual, even though he was unchanged.

Lalisa kept her voice casual as she spoke.

"You don't have to wait up for me. If you're tired, you can go to bed first."

"It's fine. I won't extinguish the lamps until you come in anyway."

"Don't worry. I can see well in the dark and find my way to bed."