42. Everyone Listen

"I heard someone talking about you. You should have been honest if these rumors were spreading."

Lalisa had just been about to ask, "What are you doing?" but she swallowed down her words. She couldn't understand where he was going with this, but she would accept what he said with the knowledge that he was on her side.

"Everyone listen."

Jungkook fixed the room with a steely gaze.

"Lalisa Blaise is my woman."

Jungkook's voice rang clearly in the room, as everyone was holding their breath. At his sudden announcement, the nobles swallowed or gave a faint gasp of surprise. The truth about the rumor was moving in an exciting new direction.

"Lady Blaise has been seeing me for a long time. I was planning to keep it a secret before I officially announced it, but I didn't expect this nonsense to spread."

Jungkook bore down the room with a reproachful glare, but Yerim shook herself to her senses and intervened.

"Then she cheated on you! There was a man who said he was with Lady Blaise, and if you have doubts–"

Jungkook's expressionless face moved towards Yerim.

"Who told you that bullshit? "

Jungkook's voice was dangerously low, but Yerim's only thoughts were excitement over having made eye contact with him. At first she inhaled in embarrassment, but soon she put on the most innocent expression she could make.

"A viscount said–"

But Yerim's words did not last long. Jungkook issued a low order in the direction outside of the door.

"Bring it here, Taehyung."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Taehyung replied with a polite voice and strode into the party.

"Put it down."

Taehyung began unwrapping a cloth from a round object in his hands. The object was released from its cloth binding and immediately fell to the floor and rolled forward.

It bumped into a stop at the leg of the table. What everyone saw–

Was a man's head.

"Kkyaaaaaa!"

The party was instantly filled with high screams of the women. Everyone, male or female of any age, had turned pale and watched the scene with widened eyes. Jungkook's calm expression was severely out of place.

"Is this the man who said that?"

Yerim stared at Jungkook with stunned shock, unable to answer. She couldn't have been ignorant of who he was. He was the nobleman she had paid to pay false rumors.

"...Oh...oh my god..."

Yerim was completely numb. Jungkook responded casually.

"Look carefully and listen. If there's another one like him, then I'll do the same."

The room, which once held the sounds of merriment, was now engulfed in silence. The music had stopped long ago, and everyone held their breath as they watched Jungkook.

Gongyoo had reigned for some time now. Up until then, the emperors of the Ruford empire were war-loving, brutal, and unafraid to spill blood. After Gongyoo was crowned emperor, the country had stayed in relative peace. It was the first time that the young nobles had experienced something like this, while the older ones had a darkened face as they recalled the emperors of the past. For the nobility who had lived most of their days through the quieter times, Jungkook's actions had to be shocking.