89. The Person We Choose

Lalisa's royal life eventually stabilized, and soon she sent invitations to several people as she promised at the wedding reception: Marchioness Marissa of the south, Countess Hwaaa of the capital city, Irene Ashmore of the Freegrand Kingdom, and so on. Lastly was Jaehyun, who was considered the successor for the Krauss family.

Irene's reply came back first. Perhaps there was an urgency because the Freegrand delegations all had to return home...or perhaps the ambassador had been keenly anticipating Lalisa's invitation.

'...What does she want to say to me?'

Lalisa had been curious ever since the ambassador said she would give her a personal gift of fabric. She found Irene strangely intriguing, particularly because the ambassador was the ideal woman Lalisa dreamed of. Even in a woman's body, Irene looked impressive in a smart uniform and a sword belted at her waist. This was not easily done in the Ruford Empire, where women still had a difficult time making their way through society.

'If it can't be me...then I want Roseanne to live freely.'

She wished Roseanne could fly as boundless as a bird without being held down by anything. To do that, she would give her full material and emotional support to her most precious sister. A faint smile spread on Lalisa's lips as she thought of Roseanne's bright face.

There was a knock on the door, and the nanny entered the room.

"Dame Ashmore is here, Your Highness."

"Very well. Let her in."

As soon as Lalisa's permission was given, Irene entered the parlor room and bowed deeply in greeting.

"Hail to the Crown Princess. Eternal Glory to the Ruford Empire."

Lalisa stood up from her seat and greeted her as well.

"Welcome. Have you been well?"

"Yes, I've been enjoying myself greatly in the Ruford Empire. Firstly, I'd like to present my gift you—"

Servants waiting outside the door brought in bolts of fabric. Lalisa's eyes widened as she saw the luxuriousness and quality of the material.

"I was expecting a gift, but...I didn't realize it would be so much."

"They are given with all my heart."

Irene smiled, revealing her white teeth. Her cheerful attitude pleased Lalisa. It wasn't just about the expensive gifts—the more she saw Irene's confident demeanor and polite mannerisms, the more satisfied she was.

"Thank you. Because of this, I can make a variety of dresses."

"It's an honor to add to the beauty to the Crown Princess."

Irene wasn't servile, but she was a good listener, and Lalisa suspected she was well-versed in business. Lalisa inspected the fabrics then ordered them to be taken to the dressing room. Soon after, she offered Irene to sit across from her.

"Have a seat."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

After the two settled down in their respective chairs, maidservants appeared to place refreshments and snacks in front of them. Lalisa gestured to one of the uniquely shaped sweets.

"This is one of the most popular delicacies in the Ruford Empire. Please try it."

"Thank you for your kind consideration, Your Highness."

"Have you eaten yet? Let's eat together before lunch."

"I wouldn't be so brazen to turn you down. Thank you for giving me the honor of dining with you."