48. I Promise

"What are you thinking of, Your Highness?"

Jungkook was gazing moodily outside the window with his arms folded. His blue eyes lost its focus and turned clear again, but he didn't turn away from the window as he replied.

"Just of old memories."

Presently, Jungkook's gaze was turned towards Freesia Palace outside the window. He didn't have many good memories of the place. Perhaps it was only natural. He had a very unhappy childhood.

From the moment he was born, he didn't stay at the palace, but was raised at the maids' quarters stayed because of his mother's humble origins. He had grown up not knowing that his father was the emperor until he was eight years old. Although he was the first son, no one recognized him as a prince.

As a child, Jungkook's mother was always apologizing to someone. Even if the Empress threw a cup of tea at his mother, she had to bow down and subject herself to the harassment and jealousies of other maids. He couldn't understand why his mother was this way when he was a child...but when he grew older, he later found out it was for his sake. And yet, his mother would always apologize to Jungkook too.

"I'm sorry, Kookie. I'm sorry you have such a terrible mother."

His mother suffered greatly to protect him. It must have been difficult to safeguard the life of the boy without any maternal relatives in the palace, where plots and scheming were common. When Jungkook thought about it now, he probably survived that far because nobody cared about him.

"Kookie, if anyone says something, just say you made a mistake. You can't even breathe a word against anyone."

"No. Why should I do that when I didn't do anything wrong?"

"The moment you are noticed by others, your life is over."

"Mom, can we just run away together? I don't want to live as a prince."

He meant it. He would abandon the position a thousand times over if he could only be with his mother. She answered him with a weak smile.

"Kookie, you cannot live like this. How precious is the blood that flows in your body? Look towards the high places like birds flying in the sky."

He complained countless times that he didn't need riches, but his mother has pretended not to listen.

The turning point in his life came without any warning. One day, the Orb appeared in Jungkook's body. He lay in bed for a week and struggled with severe pain. There were no words to explain the way his skin turned black then white again. It was only then that he realized the change in his body meant that he was not a normal human being. The sun and moon rose and set several times before the blue orb finished growing inside his body and separated from him.

The moment he held the perfect bead in his hand, he met his father for the first time. His father told him that the emperors had the blood of the dragon. Jungkook thought he would retch. This wasn't just the blood of a monster...It was a curse. His mother was completely wrong; The blood flowing through his body was never precious or blessed. He could still remember clearly when Gongyoo patted his shoulder.

"You will succeed me, Jungkook. Your father believes in only you now."

Soon after, Gongyoo declared to everyone that Jungkook would serve as the crown prince. Jungkook's life completely changed after that. Like a lie, Gongyoo began to love him dearly, and in turn, the days he saw his mother gradually declined. Then one day, his mother spoke to him.

"I need to leave the palace for a while. Your Highness, can you manage on your own?"

"Where are you going? Don't go."