39. Top Secret

Lalisa confirmed the dates of the social events she would attend and checked the one that would happen the soonest. Her reputation had changed dramatically in the days after the ball, but she had gave them her word that she would go.

'To prove my innocence...I have to make Lady Selby a liar.'

That was her best course of action. Her accusation wasn't untrue either, as Yerim was now spreading false stories about her.

'To start, I need information about Lady Selby.'

Just as Yerim had done, information would be her the trap. It was key the Lalisa could gather as many witnesses and evidence against Yerim in a short amount of time.

'Let's start with when she tried to give me the salty tea.'

Lalisa would seem more credible if Jennie offered to testify on her behalf, unlike Yerim, whose witness was Dahyun. Jennie was a noblewoman, and as such would be considered more trustworthy than a maid.

But that wouldn't be enough. Just like the story of Lalisa meeting with a different man every night, there had to be something tantalizing and provocative. Only then would the rumors would stop at once.

After thinking it over, Lalisa stood up and headed towards Roseanne's room. Before entering, she knocked lightly on the door.

"Yes, come in."

When Lalisw opened the door, the sound of the sewing machine at work flowed out.

With the help of a few maids, Roseanne was devoting herself to fixing up the dresses that Jennie had sent. When Roseanne looked up and saw who entered the room, she rose from her seat.

"What's going on, my sister Lisa?"

"There's a social event in a few days and I was going to ask for a dress, but you appear to already be working on one."

"I already mentioned at the ball that I'm going to refit the dresses for you. And with so many invitations coming in, I had an idea that you'd need them sooner or later."

Roseanne was so charming that Lalisa couldn't help but smile.

She was right. Lalisa had to be just as beautiful as everyone else at the upcoming events. Appearances weren't everything, but she wouldn't lower her standards either. And on that day...she would turn the tide on all the rumors spread by Yerim.

Lalisa recalled the invitation to the soonest date. She didn't know how many nobles would attend, but it was clear that there would be quite a crowd. With so many things to prepare, it was a relief that a dress was one less thing on her mind.

"Then I'll come back later, Roseanne."

"Yes, sister! I'll let you know when it's finished."

"Yes, thank you."

When Lalisa returned to her room, she immediately tied a red handkerchief to the window. She judged Jimin to be the quickest and most secretive way of gathering information compared to the Blaise's resources. She was never disappointed by the information he brought.

As usual, Lalisa kept the windows open and waited for Jimin to slip past everyone's eyes. She settled at her desk, putting the plans in her head to paper. If her counter offense failed, the vicious rumors about Lalisa might feel more true. She might not be able to do anything about it at that point. Time was short, but she couldn't leave any holes in her plan.

'Lady Selby...I will pay you back twice over what you've given me.'

She did not intend to sit still like a fool. Not after her reputation was tarnished like this. Today, Lalisa was not a naive young noblewoman. While it was true that she was less skilled in social politics than with her sword, she wasn't so soft as to allow herself to be subjected to a shameful deceit.