30. One to Ten

"...One."

It was the last moment of Lalisa's countdown.

Jungkook stepped forward where the knight's blade was pointed at Lalisa. It was close enough to be within striking distance, and the knight was taken aback that his sword previously aimed at Lalisa was now pointed at the crown prince himself. Lalisa's instincts told her to knock away the sword immediately, but at that moment her body had frozen.

The knight panicked and trembled as Jungkook came near and stared indifferently down on him.

"Get out of the way."

The knight was forced to stagger back. There was a sense of prideful authority he dared not challenge.

Jungkook defiantly strode straight towards Flower Bridge. The knight that stood aside suddenly realized the meaning of his indifferent stare. Jungkook didn't care about his behavior at all.

The knight took one step back after another until he completely backed into a wall, completely overwhelmed. By Prince Jungkook and...the unknown knight in the strange armor.

Lalisa stared coldly at the trembling man, then walked past him and followed the prince. The crowd that they left behind was silent, the scene vividly imprinted in their minds.

Jungkook confirmed that it was Lalisa who caught up to his side and spoke to her in a softened voice.

"...You always surprise me."

Perhaps it was only natural. He already knew that Lalisa was a good swordswoman, but it was the first time he'd seen her in action as a knight. Right now Lalisa was a completely different entity, from what she wore, to the way she spoke and the way she stood. The moment Lalisa donned the black armor she became the knight of her past life.

She stared at Jungkook's back as he walked a step ahead of her.

"Your Highness. His blade could have gone for you neck."

As she spoke, she recalled the scene again. Had the knight tried to move his sword a little earlier, Lalisa would have cut off his arm. Jungkook had no idea how nervous she was, and she couldn't help but speak against him in disapproval.

"...It's dangerous."

Jungkook continued forward without stopping.

"I'm not dead, so don't worry."

"...Don't be so sure."

Lalisa swallowed the words she couldn't bring herself to say.

'You died in the last life.'

Although she did not witness Jungkook's death, she experienced the world after his disappearance. Her family was destroyed and Ruford Empire had changed. It was everything that Lalisa didn't want.

Jungkook lifted his right arm towards her.

"Didn't you read fairy tales when you were a child? Monsters...aren't killed easily."

Lalisa hadn't seen it since the night she saved him, but she remembered that Jungkook's armed transformed into something scaly and black and monstrous. Rather than a monster though, it seemed more like a reptile...or a dragon.

Lalisa replied tersely.

"It may not be easy to kill you, but that doesn't mean you have two lives."

"I'm afraid I can't hear your words."

Jungkook chuckled at Lalisa's unbending manner. After a short pause, he spoke again.

"Did you really intend to kill the knight? From what he was wearing, it looked like he belonged to the Imperial Family's Second Order. It's led by House Anita, where the Empress' birth father comes from."