41. Why Don't You Tell Me?

"Oh, isn't that the stench of a rag?"

The crowd tittered in reply to Yerim's words. Not only did Dahyun stand beside Yerim now, but Tzuyu as well. Lalisa remained unflinching at Yerim's remarks. Her pride prevented her from becoming openly agitated in this place. She clenched her fists discreetly while wearing an indifferent smile.

"Hmm, I heard a frivolous sound somewhere. I heard that a girl blinded by jealousy was trying to scratch me."

Yerim's face flushed. No matter who else heard the jibe, it was clearly aimed at her.

"Jealousy. You think you know what you're talking about?"

"I didn't mean Lady Selby specifically, but you're acting like you've been stabbed."

Lalisa demurely covering her mouth with her hand.

"You...!"

Yerim's cheeks turned crimson. Tzuyu raised her voice to capture the other nobles' attention.

"Lady Blaise, I heard you can't sleep unless you're with a man. I wonder who else you went out to meet last night."

With the contents of the rumors in open field, people began to watch with interested eyes, and more began to flock towards the drama taking place in the middle of the room. Lalisa responded calmly.

"Who is spreading such rumors?"

Tzuyu spoke as if she couldn't believe what she heard.

"Is it a false rumor? The maid who worked for House Blaise said it herself."

Lalisa gaze turned towards Dahyun. Dahyun had served House Blaise for a long time, but now she acted as if she was a stranger. The moment Lalisa's icy gaze fell on Dahyun, the maid's body started to tremble uncontrollably. She was reminded of the last time Lalisa looked coldly down on her, and her conscience was stricken by the lies she had made up.

However, smugness soon replaced her guilt. Even though Dahyun was sent away from House Blaise, she was doing even better than before. She wanted to make Lalisa regret that she didn't value her. The fact that she had done a terrible thing had already been forgotten in her mind.

"I saw it with my own eyes. Lady Lalisa goes to see a different man every night."

Lalisa was shocked at how baldly Dahyun lied to the crowd, but it didn't end there. The maid was rather enjoying Lalisa's reaction and her voice grew louder with confidence.

"Everyone in House Blaise already knows this besides me. There is more than one witness."

There was a growing buzz around them. Lalisa could clearly hear the words the nobles were saying.

"I suppose the rumors really are true."

"I couldn't believe it at first, but it really is strange."

There was one word that caught in Lalisa's ear.

"...dirty."

All the wicked eyes and malicious words were directed towards her, each one like a barb. However, she pressed on, refusing to let herself be intimidated.

"Dahyun, you were dismissed from the family and gambled your money away. It must have been a difficult life. Who told you to lie like this?"

From now on, it was a battle of spirit where the tiniest falter meant losing.

"No one told me to lie! I'm telling the truth!"

"After you were fired you must have been haunted by the delusion you made, and eventually came to believe it."