157. Only After One Life

For days, Hyunbin's troops travelled nonstop, and Lalisa had not gotten off the horse even once. Hyunbin turned to his daughter in a concerned voice.

"Aren't you tired?"

"I'm fine. You can't slow down just because of me."

She hadn't been able to sleep well, and any simple meal she took was on horseback. She already suffered through difficult prison life, and moreover, she was pregnant. Hyunbin learned that his daughter was with child before the mission, but he did not press her on the subject, knowing it was better to not waste time and get caught by their enemies.

"Just endure it a little longer. It's not that far now."

"Yes, th—I see."

She was about to thank him for his concern, but she hastily changed her words. She didn't think her father would welcome this kind of affection. As of late, Hyunbin had been paying her more attention than usual, but she knew his personality did not change overnight, and she didn't want to undo this arrangement. She was satisfied enough with what she had.

A moment later, a man approached from behind and addressed Hyunbin.

"My Lord, I have something to tell you."

The man was Pyo Chisu, a faithful servant of Hyunbin's. Hyunbin glanced at Lalisa, then turned back to Chisu and spoke in a quiet voice.

"Let's talk in private."

"Understood."

The two slowed their horses and fell behind the procession. Lalisa narrowed her eyes in curiosity, but she let them go without saying a word. Hyunbin was the leader of this unit, and it was his prerogative to exchange private information she didn't know about.

After Hyunbin distanced himself from Lalisa, he turned to Chisu with a serious expression.

"What is it?"

"Grand Duke Lunen's forces are drawing near."

"Is that so..."

"What should we do, My Lord? They will reach us soon."

The creases on Hyunbin's face deepened. Shortly after his unit rescued Lalisa, he heard that Namgil dispatched a large number of troops to track her down. Hyunbin did not tell Lalisa this for fear of causing stress on her already exhausted body, but he had heard no word from the other two units. Frequent, consistent contact was not easy, and he worried if something happened to them. Perhaps even without communication, Jimin's and Namjoon's troop were doing their best to save Lalisa until the very end.

Hyunbin's face set in determination.

"We're not far from the border anyway. If we can buy some time, we will be able to successfully deliver Her Majesty."

"Then we'll select the other soldiers who'll risk their lives."

"No."

Hyunbin shook his head firmly. Such a trick would not be enough to fool Namgil. It was certain that the Grand Duke knew Lalisa was here.

"I will remain."

"M-My Lord...!"

Chisu's eyes widened in astonishment at Alphord's declaration. However, the man already seemed to have made up his mind.

"If I move, Namgil will be under the illusion that Her Majesty is with me. And if we want to hold the enemy off a little longer, it should be with someone good with a sword... No matter who else I consider, I'm the only one that can do it."

"Her Majesty won't allow it."

"So don't tell her."

"My Lord..."