107. The Dragon's Orb

Lalisa hadn't yet fully recovered, but there was no telling when her next chance to meet Gongyoo would be. She rose urgently from her bed.

"Help me get ready."

"Are you sure you want to go? You're in no state to be moving about right now..."

"I need to meet him."

Lalisa was determined to find answers. Gongyoo and Jungkook made varying claims about the blue bead ring—Jungkook had said the ring's ability to grant wishes was simply superstition, but Gongyoo thought otherwise. He even permitted their marriage because of it. She didn't think that Gongyoo would believe something so outrageous without cause.

What was more, the black scales on Jungkook's body gave her reason to believe that perhaps the ring had hidden abilities that she didn't know about.

While it was not clear whose claim was true at this point, there was one thing she could say for certain.

'If it's dangerous...Kookie might not tell me.'

It wasn't that she was distrustful of Jungkook , but he was clearly averse to anything that might put her in danger, even to the point where he tried to divert her to a safe area several times when they were chased by assassins.

But Lalisa needed to know. Especially if Jungkook might be in jeopardy.

'I'll protect you.'

She vowed never to leave his side, even if she had to stare down tens of thousands of dangers. The site where the poisoned arrow struck her still hurt terribly, but she would take any injury for him countless times if it meant keeping him alive. The agony of her loved ones leaving her first was far more painful. She wouldn't be left alone anymore...

Lalisa quickly began to prepare for her visit, a determined glint in her eye.

*

If one saw Lalisa walking towards the Emperor's palace, they never would have guessed that she was suffering any injury at all. Although she could not properly tighten her corset because of the wound, her waist was straight and her expression was that of serene calm. She had also chosen a brightly colored dress to hide her pale complexion.

She pushed forward with a stately gait, ignoring the throbbing pain in her back. Any hint of weakness, and the Imperial Family's enemies would immediately take advantage of it. Information traveled fast enough that others may be aware that she was injured, but she didn't have to reveal how serious it was. Showing everyone that she was healthy would suppress any unnecessary gossip.

Lalisa finally arrived at the prearranged meeting place. When the head butler saw her, he hailed her arrival.

"The Crown Princess has arrived!"

There was a hacking cough from inside the room, then Sullivan's voice replied.

"Come in."

Permission given, the head butler bowed lowly to Lalisa then opened the door for her.

"Please enter, Your Highness."

She gave a passing nod, then went inside the room. Strangely, all the curtains were drawn across the windows, leaving the room in darkness. She took in the gloomy surroundings curiously, then moved closer towards Gongyoo lying in bed.

"Ah..."

Gongyoo's face looked far more gaunt than it did before. The disease seemed to have advanced to the point it where it was now clearly noticeable.

Lalisa spoke in a worried voice.

"Father, are you ill?"

"Even if I'm lying in bed while my daughter-in-law is here, there is no need to worry. It will be as if nothing has happened after I take a sleep."