74. Our First Night

Beginne am Anfang

"I am Lalisa Jeon - Ruford, daughter of the Blaise family."

Evans gave her a welcoming smile.

"Yes, Your Highness. I saw you at the wedding. I am Count Evans, head of the Kraus family, and this is my grandson, Harry. Congratulations on your wedding once again."

It was a right and proper greeting. The noble socialites were a mere trifle compared to this powerful merchant family, and Lalisa could safely assume that Count Evans was an extraordinarily intelligent and crafty man.

'How can I bring him to Jungkook's side?'

Count Evans was highly coveted in the political scene. So far, he had stayed his hand in the power struggle between the Emperor and Empress, but it was clear that the balance would be tipped to whoever lured Evans to their side. He was simultaneously the most desired ally and the most feared enemy.

Jaehyun had been quietly watching Lalisa and Jungkook by his grandfather's side before he spoke up.

"Your love story has been passed around so much as to cause sore ears. The Crown Prince not only gave the Crown Princess a diamond wedding dress, but other young nobility have complained that there was no dowry as well."

Lalisa looked at Jaehyun questioningly, and he smiled as he explained.

"All the ladies compare the men with the romantic Crown Prince, and the rest of the men were unhappy. "

"Ah..."

Lalisa understood Jaehyun's words perfectly. Jungkook's popularity had soared among the noblewomen lately, and the rest of the men were feeling self-conscious.

After a second evaluating the situation, Lalisa took Jungkook's firm forearm. Jungkook slightly stiffened at her touch, but his expression didn't change and no one else noticed.

"My husband has been quite generous to me. I truly appreciate him."

Lalisa smiled as broadly as she could. She was able to recall the details about the Krauss family without difficulty. Count Evans only loved one woman throughout his life, and he lived alone without taking another woman even after his wife passed away. It was likely Jungkook would make a greater impression if he was presented as a devoted lover instead of a playboy.

Jaehyun continued pleasantly.

"I suppose the rumor was true, too. What was the proposal like, Your Highness?"

Evans glanced at Jaehyun for his question.

"Oh, it's rude to ask such a thing. There's no reason to pry for personal information."

Evans turned to Jungkook and Lalisa with a guilty expression.

"My apologies. He's a curious boy, so please understand."

Lalisa hurriedly shook her head.

"Not at all. It's something that everybody is curious about. We can't hide it."

Despite her outward relaxed appearance, however, she was calculating inwardly on what to say. She had been debating how to curry favor with Evans, and fortunately Jaehyun's interest in their love story provided a golden opportunity.

However, she and Jungkook had never had a proper proposal as they were bound by a contract marriage. For Lalisa, the moment was when she saved Jungkook's life and asked him to marry her, but she needed a more plausible story that would satisfy the people's fantasy.

"Hmm...my first inkling he prepared something was when I met with him and found the place lit with a myriad of candles."

Jaehyun's expression flickered with interest, in contrast to Evans' restraint.