CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

FIONA'S P.O.V

"Heat? What do you mean?" I ask before anyone else can.

"Luna you see, heat is a werewolf thing. It is believed to have been made by the moon goddess herself. Every female mated to a werewolf can enter heat but it is very rare for this to happen and because of that many werewolves don't even know about it anymore"

"So what will happen to my daughter during this so called heat and why will she go through it?" My mother asks sitting down beside me.

"Legend has it that long ago, many mates would be stubborn and want to reject or even refuse each other. Mating was taking a long time and the moon goddess' pairing wasn't being honoured. The moon goddess had no choice than to impose the 'heat' on the females" Mary told us.

"Before the female enters heat, usually about a week before it starts, she gets a strong urge to be with her mate, more like a force pushing her to complete the mating process. We can call this a final warning or chance to do the needful. If they still don't complete the mating process then she will go into heat" she adds and I'm starting to understand what she is saying.

So that explains why Alice has been acting weird, why she wanted us to mate with Mikhail so badly. I didn't do it though so what will happen now?

"If the mates don't complete the mating process and the female starts this heat, what will happen then?" I ask knowing that I won't like the answer to my question.

"The heat lasts for 3 days and it is characterized by unbearable pain. You can view it as a punishment for not completing the mate bond and also a forceful way to get mates to complete the process. The female will be in a lot of pain throughout her heat"

"That is absurd! Why should she be in pain just because they haven't completed the mating process?" father says in outrage.

"Father, calm down and let her explain" I say softly. He looks at me and sighs before taking a seat.

"Okay but why will she be the only one in pain? You said it's a punishment for not completing the mating process so why isn't the male being punished?" He asks calmly this time.

My gaze moves to Mary who had stopped talking because of my father's outburst. I'm also curious about this, will I be the only one getting punished? I nod for her to continue.

"This heat is a sort of punishment for the male too. His punishment is the pain of watching his mate suffer. Even if the mates don't like each other, his wolf will ache and hurt because of the pain the female is going through, that is his punishment" she tells us.

So Mikhail would have to suffer the pain of watching me suffer. It would tear him apart to see that happen, especially if he felt that he couldn't do anything about it.

"Apart from the pain which she will experience, she will also let off a scent which will... Attract all unmated wolves and give them the urge to-"

A loud growl cuts through the air and I flinch slightly. Mikhail had been quiet before but now he seems angry. His eyes are flickering from black to their normal blue ones and I know he's trying to keep his wolf at bay.

"Give them the urge to do what?" He asks in a deadly voice. Mary's eyes widen and she didn't dare speak again but I know we all understood what she was trying to say.

This heat sounds horrible. I'll experience pain and also be a walking sex magnet, just great.

I quickly stand up from the couch and head towards Mikhail who is still angry. I put my hand on his back and slowly rub it "calm down Mikhail, she's just telling us the truth" he remains tense for some seconds before he finally relaxes and his eyes fade back to their normal colour.