Bonus chapter 8

Hugo's perspective

The disembodied voice wasn't loud or booming but it was animated and authoritative.

" Through this desolated Forest is a path from enchanted to the oceans of Waling.is a main transport road for much of the food supplied to Waling. A puzzlement to all is how the food continues to disappear. Tensions rise in the courtroom as the Emperor of Waling accuses the king of Enchancia of cheating him. War might break out if this mystery is not solved." The image in the hourglass slowly dissipates and Sophia stands to her feet.

" We have to figure out what's going on."

" how we don't even know where to go?"Or point out the obvious. Mr invisible storyteller didn't exactly give us directions.

" Well, we can start by asking my dad."Sophia extends her hand to help me out. An unnecessary but delightful gesture.

I watch Sophia's Ponytail sway as she makes her way to a set of double doors across the room.

" Where are you going? shouldn't we fly there? I point upward to wear our horses still hover."

"It's faster this way."Sophia jerks her thumb towards the wooden doors.

"But our horses?"I point out.

"Oh Minimus is used to sneaking his way into his stall but I guess Electra doesn't know how."

" Besides that aren't we supposed to be in school? we can't just walk up to your dad and interrogate him about the missing food."

" School ended 10 minutes ago."She says happily.

" it takes 20 to get to your Palace from school."

" We can tell him we raced here. Which isn't far from the truth."

"How much planning actually goes into saving the world Sof?"

"Very little." My girlfriend deadpans.

"So you're telling me you save the world by winging it?"

" Pretty much." Sophia shrugs and smiles. The movement of her lips caused the freckles on her nose to wrinkle. Adorable.

"Where do those doors lead anyway?"I asked out of curiosity.

"To a magical boat that takes you right under my castle. Then you have to shrink down and go through the secret tunnels.  It ends up in my bedroom."

" of course. Because that makes sense."

"Get used to it Hugo."Sophia walks past me towards the elevator. " Come on we got to get back up there."

I follow my girl back onto the elevator. I watch the hundreds of shelves go by. All of these stories have no ending? Are all of these stories happening in the present? Did some get finished in the past? What about the ones in the future? I wonder if you could read about the future? Granted the story wouldn't be finished but...

At the top of the library, I'm greeted by gleeful Snuffles of my horse Electra. The familiar sound brings me out of my thoughts.

Sophia stares at me mischievously and then takes off towards her castle as her horse can go. She turns back around and sticks her tongue out at me as if to say, slowpoke. I flick Electra's reins and soon I catch up to her. I can't stop a wicked grin from spreading across my face. In no time at all we arrive on the landing strip of Sophia's castle.

In a stroke of luck, King Roland is waiting for two flying horses to be attached to a carriage. leisurely Sophia and I walk over to him.

" Where are you going, dad?" Sophia asks innocently.

"I have to attend a conference meeting in Waling. Sophia's dad grimaces. The main trade route has been attacked frequently and Emperor Chang believes I am trying to cheat him out of money. I'm going to diplomatically convince him this is not the case. Perhaps even for his assistance to stop the thieves. I fear what will happen if I don't succeed in these discussions. The king pauses as if realizing something. Sophia, what are you doing home early?"

"Hugo and I raced all the way here."

"What are you doing here Hugo?I don't remember this hangout being scheduled. The withering look the King was giving me caused shivers to run down my spine.

"Sophia and I have a project we're working on together."

"Say dad? which trade route was it again?"Sophia asks innocently clasping her hands to one side and leaning her head to the other.

" the one to the Waling sea."

" And where is that?" I asked the king.

"Why are you kids so interested in this?"

"I just care a lot about our kingdom."Sophia overemphasized her words.

"The passage is through the South forest. the king made a vague gesture with his hand. it's the only paved Road in that direction for miles you can't miss it. Now I really must be going. Wish me luck, kids. The king's face was firm as he entered the carriage. No doubt dreading the tense debate that would happen in his near future. We watched as the carriage took off once the King was a sufficient distance away we remounted our horses and took off in the opposite direction towards the previously mentioned area.

Sophia's dad was right. The road was not difficult to find, soaring high above the forest. It was easy to spot where the trees were cleared in a long snaking line. The yellow bricks that compose the road caught the light of the sun, making the path glaringly obvious.

" Should we land?" I suggested to Sophia but she was looking about as if still trying to find something.

" We should find a caravan and follow it and wait for the true culprit to strike so we can catch them red-handed."

" Good idea."

" We shouldn't follow too closely though because we don't want to get caught up in the attack."

" But the Caravan needs to know we're there so they don't suspect us as the thieves,"I say scratching my head.

" How do we let the Caravan know we're there but not the thieves?" mutters under her breath with her eyebrows drawn together I can see the gears moving in her head. " I've got it. I'll ride up and join the caravan. You stay behind and stake out the villain."

"I like that but I don't want you to be in direct danger so maybe I can be the one to join the Caravan. Besides you have sharper eyes."I offer my Amendment to the plan. I know Sophia isn't a damsel in distress, far from it actually. But she's still my girlfriend and I would still like to protect her.

"You're sweet Hugo." Sophia Smiles softly at me. But that changes to a look of excitement as she points into the distance.

" Hugo! There's a caravan!"

I rapidly descend upon the Caravan. then I realized what that might look like to those on the ground so I slow my pace. a man and a straw hat looks up and is surprised to see me. I lift my hand in greeting. And the man's face relaxes, only slightly.

"Hi I'm Prince Hugo of Welshire"

" What are you doing out here your highness?" The man looks dismayed.

" My girlfriend and I Princess Sofia of Enchancia have set out to solve your mystery."

" I don't know what a couple of kids could do to help, but I'll welcome your presence."

" Oh, you haven't met Sophia."I chuckle at the man's disbelief. Suddenly my princely manners kick in. "Thank you for your kind hospitality."

We ride in silence for a little while. Off to my right side, there's a strange wrestling in the bushes. My eyes flick over to the offending bush. My spine goes rigid and my mind goes into full alert.