chapter 25

The next day at school. Sophia's perspective

I feel so happy. Which is strange when there's a gaping hole in my ballroom. But my friends and family are safe. And we won against Ivy. And we have a strategy to beat her permanently.

When I woke up the sun was shining on my face. I immediately got dressed in a purple tank top and some distressed pants. I thread purple ribbon through my auburn ponytail. I practically bounced down the staircase to breakfast.

Turns out I accidentally slept in and I only have 5 minutes to scarf some waffles. I take a few to go and shove them in my mouth with two more waffles in my hands.

The carriage ride to school seems short and I see the school just below us. I know I have time to get to my class but I speed into the building anyway. I'm excited to see Hugo. Also today I am hoping to make more friends. I haven't made that many yet. That girl Sarah seemed really nice.She stood up for me during Enchanted ice dancing class.

As I near my locker I hear Hugo's voice. When he notices me he smiles.

"Still love purple I see." Hugo teases me as he fingers the silk ribbon in my hair.

"Come on, let's get to class, we don't want to be late." I say shutting my locker.

"You're looking mighty fine today." Hugo said as he bumps my hip with his own.

I look at Hugo's face. He has mischievous eyes and a playfulness about his lips. That's when I notice a cut on his chin.

"What happened?"The playfulness fades from my voice and is replaced by concern.

"I got hit with a piece of shrapnel trying to protect my girlfriend." Hugo is smiling as he says the words. His hair seems poofy today. It looks nice and I can tell he took extra care in grooming it.

As I sit down at my first class, a paper airplane hits my head.There's magenta writing on the left wing. It says " open me." I unfold the paper airplane and I see a crude drawing of myself. At the bottom it reads "as a commoner I didn't have the smarts to attend Ever Realm Academy. It just wasn't in my blood. I will instead become a brainless jock."

The words are meant to be mean. But they come off sounding lame. I crumpled up the ball and tossed it over my shoulder with a smile on my face.

Hugo, who is one seat behind me, catches it. A split-second later he stands up slamming his fist on his desk. "Who wrote this!"He demands the information.

I turn around in my seat."Hugo it's okay."I smile at him reassuringly.

" Sophia, you can't put up with this crap."His arms are apart and he's obviously angry, his eyebrows are together.

"That's exactly what it is. A load of crap." I reply with a sweet smile still plastered on my lips.

"Okay.I'll let it go."He sits down. He reaches with his right hand to touch my left cheek. "But if it happens again..."

"Hugo."I laugh. Then I'm forced to turn away from my adorable protective boyfriend and focus my attention on the teacher.

Later in ice dancing class.

I feel terrible. And not just because of all the bumps and bruises on my body from falling so frequently. I feel humiliated. That horrible girl who used to be Hugo's ice dancing partner said that Hugo was my guard dog, commenting on what happened first hour. It's just eating at me. Messing with my focus. I slammed my fist into the ice sitting on my bottom again.

" It's okay. Sof. You're just out of practice. Don't worry about it. You can come over to my castle after school and we can practice together. Just like old times." Hugo smiles down into my face as he offers his hand to help me up. His idea does sound like a good one. And it brings excitement into me. Ice dancing with Hugo is fun. And he doesn't judge me. Besides, I remember him being a great coach. He helped me master the fireball flip which is still my specialty."

"Sounds awesome. I say, taking his hand."

Together we skated off the ice to go to Flying Derby class. I forgot to get the form signed so I can bring Minimus, so for today I ride Buttercup again. She's a good horse, though a little kittish. I was intimidated by the track. The bell tower is twice as high as the one back in RPA. And today I was told I was supposed to tackle it. I was afraid at first but with Buttercup's help we easily scaled it.

On the other side of the stone colossus, Hugo and the others are waiting for me.

" Well done, Princess Sofi,." the coach says. " You may all go brush down your horses now."

Hugo must have finished brushing down Elektra early as he comes into Buttercup's stall to aid me in brushing her down.

"The air in the stable is warm and our close quarters aren't helping. Hugo's arm grazes mine as he brushes down the horse. I look over just to my right and find him staring at me. At my lips. His hair is messy from derby and he has a piece of hay in it. I place one hand on his broad shoulders and reach up to grab the hay out of his hair.

Swiftly his arms around my waist and my amulet glows blue. I kiss him anyway. But it's brief.

"Hugo, can you finish..." I'm cut off by Hugo speaking. "Of course Sof." I smile up at him, reluctant to leave the warmth and safety of the barn. " Go. Someone needs your help.'Hugo points towards the door where I see Minimus already landing just outside.